Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and I'm sure the advice I'm looking for is here somewhere already, but I'm at my wit's end and I'm hoping you all will humor me anyway.

My husband and I have had canine family members our whole lives, both apart and together. After easing our two mature dogs onto the rainbow bridge around 6 years ago, it took us a while to come around to adopting again, but this past summer a 6-month-old Boston/Yorkie mix came into our lives and we were instantly smitten and already I can't imagine a life without her. Our 8-yr-old daughter named her Jelly Bean :)

Anyway, to get to the point, I am struggling to find a solution for Bean's flea collection. In the past, applying one dose of Advantage to one medium-large dog was always sufficient enough to eradicate every one of the nasty little pests within days, on said dog as well as other pets. When our new pup started scratching, I ordered a new batch of meds from Amazon, but realized too late that I'd inadvertently purchased Frontline, not Advantage. I knew that Frontline was inferior to Advantage, but I didn't want to hold off treatment another day, and I hoped that since the problem was mild, Frontline would do in a pinch.

Alas, we saw no change in the amount of fleas on our pup, so I purchased some Advantage and then just tried to bathe, comb and spot treat the dog and her bedding with home remedies until I felt enough time had passed to safely apply the correct meds. I fully expected that the problem would then be resolved, but to my amazement, the bugs laid low for a day or so, then came back in force!

HereI have to add that these fleas are unlike any I've encountered before. The ones our larger dogs and our cats have brought into the house before were tiny black specks who eagerly gorged on canines, felines and humans alike. Jelly Bean's fleas are large and maroon-ish, and while they have set up camp on her body, I have seen not one on either of our two cats , and none of us humans in the house have received a single bite from them or observed one anywhere in the house except on our poor puppy.

The insert that came with the Advantage said reapplication a may be necessary, but not to exceed 4 doses in a month. In desperation, I applied a second dose on the second week, and still there has been no change. My neighbor encouraged me to try out a natural method called Flea Away that has kept her herd of chihuahuas flee-free and I have spent this third week giving Bean a tablet of this each day. Still no relief.

What gives?! I have a young daughter and small children and other pets in and out of my house all the time, and for that and other reasons I don't want to resort to fogs or sprays of poison, and it doesn't even seem likely that would help since the only place we see these little jerks is on the dog!

Are there any other options any of you can suggest? Sorry to be do verbose but I just wanted to rule out any suggestions we've already tried. Thank you so much for reading and in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
290 Posts
There are various species of fleas, though I am not familiar with identifying them. It is also not uncommon for fleas to prefer a single individual as a host even in a household with multiple members.

We've been having a flea issue. The dog has had two applications, the house the animals are in has been treated... I vacuumed and sprayed Raid in the van earlier today (given that I live in there... saw a couple fleas in the morning and don't want to take that chance).

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
have you tried bravecto or comfortis? they arent topicals but flea treatment in tablets. I also know theres revolution as well and advocate(which also de worms)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Could it be that they're ticks not fleas? Dawn dish soap alone helped get rid of fleas on a foster pup I had years ago. I gave her daily baths with it until they were gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your suggestions! A family member just recommended comfortis to me today. I haven't heard of the other medicine mentioned, but I'll look into it. I'm just frustrated because I don't want to unleash a barrage of different chemicals on the poor pup, especially not in short succession, but I fear the problem will multiply in absence of treatment. I'm thinking that I may just need to hold the unhappy host down and comb every last big from we fur the way I had to manage my poor daughter's encounter with lice several years ago. We are leaving town for a few days next weekend so I think I'll do this the day before we leave and bomb the house while we're away and hope for the best.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions! A family member just recommended comfortis to me today. I haven't heard of the other medicine mentioned, but I'll look into it. I'm just frustrated because I don't want to unleash a barrage of different chemicals on the poor pup, especially not in short succession, but I fear the problem will multiply in absence of treatment. I'm thinking that I may just need to hold the unhappy host down and comb every last big from we fur the way I had to manage my poor daughter's encounter with lice several years ago. We are leaving town for a few days next weekend so I think I'll do this the day before we leave and bomb the house while we're away and hope for the best.
Your very welcome! what country do you live in? bravecto is new out , revolution isnt though neither is comfortis. The topicals are chemicals but the tablets are kinder to the dog. nexgard kills fleas as well as ticks. there are other products out there but you just need help finding them and as ive been a member since 2013 here ive seen members struggle with flea products that didnt work and what they found worked.

we are very happy to help one another on here. Though i wonder if your vet could tell you what type of fleas (or ticks) they are? its worth a shot then the vet can tell you exactly what you need to use. Just a suggestion but i do think comfortis is worth a shot

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is also a flea collar for dogs called Seresto. I tried it on my dog Katie and it worked great for her. She had a skin condition so I did not want to use all of that topical stuff. She also had a bald spot form scratching because of the fleas. After using Seresto her hair grew back and her fleas were gone.

·
Registered
214 Posts
When we got our girl she was covered in fleas, and they gave her a treatment. That was in June and we haven't treated her since, even though we're always outside, and at the beach.

I bathe her once a month, and when rinsing her body off pour a 50/50 vinegar/water mix over her. This is supposed to discourage fleas as they don't like the vinegar, it sure keeps her fresh smelling.

As long as your dog doesn't have open cuts from scratching, try the rinse. I also give her 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in her food each morning, which is also supposed to repel fleas. Something is sure working. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts