Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just took a foster today. He was abandoned by his family in the shelter at age 10 poor little guy.

Besides the fact that he was very dirty and skinny he has really flat front paws. The vet says there is nothing we can do.

I know that the best thing is to trust your vet's advice but I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice about it. Also would like to know if hes in pain or not. Any ideas?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I refuse to believe that there is nothing that can be done.

I quickly found an example of someone that was able to fix this problem so it's not impossible Carpal Subluxation Syndrome

Maybe a different vet is in order or possibly there is a trainer that is familiar with this in your area. For the long term health of your buddy it's probably worth getting it sorted out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Carpal subluxation syndrome primarily refers to puppies... a 10 year old dog more likely is apt to have bilateral ligament straining, and short of a very costly surgery and a long recovery, it is unlikely much can be done for your pet... but he seems to be fairly comfortable with his condition. Just don't let him get fat or exercise him too much.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
All my dogs as they got older ended up a little flat footed but nothing as severe as that.

If he's been like that for some time now, and isn't in pain, at his age - it might be best to leave it be given his age.
He looks like a pretty happy dog in that photo.

Stormy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts