Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is something that has botherd me really since i got a red flashing light for Bens collar, for late evening walks. i thought it would be a good idea, as he is still a bit unpredictable when walking him by the roadside on his flexi lead.
the light is attached to the front of his collar, wich i thought would be the best place...
but im thinking now he must find it really annoying, i know i sure would, lol.
it dosnt seem to bother him...so i dont know.
i seem to remember reading somewhere that dogs only see in black and white? or less colours than humans anyway.
i dont want to cause him damage, or for him to have fits.
i hope someone can shed some light on this...thank you in advance! :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Dogs are not totally color blind. They can see a few colors but one of the colors they can't see is red. I am sure there are others but this is the one I know of. It is good to be cautious when walking on a road at night with your dog. If your dog doesn't seem bothered then what is there to worry about?
But if you are truly worried, you could purchase a reflective collar or harness. Something like this: KONG® Reflective Dog Collar | Collars | PetSmart

I don't think the reflectives on a collar or harness would do quite as good as a flashing collar attachment, but they are diffidently better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I don't think he even notices it. Unless it is flashing at an alarmingly fast rate, I doubt he even sees it.

Both my dogs have this collar: Nite Dawg LED, which I like because the collar itself lights up (solid or flashing) so I don't have to worry about anything falling off or bouncing around. :)

Reactions: Arwen

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both. he has a harness with reflective edging on. and that light flashes quite fast, but like i say he dosnt seem botherd. im glad to know he definately cant see the colour of it. ( well you know what i mean. )

i like the look of them Collars @Shandula. they are quite cheap too. do they run on watch batteries? ill have to see if i can find them here. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have flashing collar lights, but I always attach them to the backs of their harnesses. The lights totally destroy my night vision and are blindingly bright, I can't imagine having to have one right next to my face.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I was outside with my dog the other night and a little ways up my driveway I could see this blinking blue light. It was a little over a foot above the ground, just sitting there motionless and blinking. I was like "what the heck?". I'd never seen anything like it. Then suddenly it charged toward me and I about died of fright before I realised it was my neighbor's border collie. He had a flashing light on his collar…
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.