Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixing a dog harmful?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rain 
#1 ·
I been contemplating fixing my dog. My concern is that she is kind of older now. 6 years old. She had two litters which were accidental and though we embraced the litters with love. its trying on the owners and the dog. My main concern is i dont want her to change in temperament or anything like that. Does it change the dog? i also heard they might gain weight and thats the last thing she needs shes already chubby.

#2 ·
Well, there are risks with the procedure and the anesthesia, as there are with any surgery. But having a dog fixed is not harmful in the long run, and the potential risks of the procedure are worth it. Just make sure you have a blood test and physical exam done to make sure she is healthy enough for the anesthesia.

As for your other concerns, no, there will not be any changes to your dog. She will stop having heat cycles, but her personality will still be the same. Weight gain is not caused from being fixed, but from eating too much and exercising too little. You may want to consider cutting her food back now if she's a bit overweight...Your vet can help you figure that out if you aren't for sure.

#3 ·
The older she gets the higher the risk of pyometra. Between that and the risk of more "accidental" litters (aside from the whole overpopulation/dog euthanasia issue, litters in senior dogs are very risky), I think this dog should be spayed.

She will need less calories/food because she won't be producing the repro hormones anymore, but if you adjust accordingly, no spaying doesn't directly contribute to weight gain. Nor does it contribute to temperament change.

Also, I'd rec checking her abdomen and mammaries frequently for lumps. Mammary tumors are not uncommon in dogs who have not been spayed.

#4 ·
We have had 3 female dogs over the years that have been spay and none of them were overweight. I think that is an "old wives tale" and has no scientific basis. I think you and your dog will be happier if she is spay and you won't have to worry about any more unplanned pregnancys.

#5 ·
The risk of not spaying her are greater then the small risk of spaying her.

Benefits:
Pyometra, is a uterine infection that unspayed dogs can get. If she gets that it'll mean she needs an emergency spay or she will die. Spaying her will mean that can never happen.

The risk of mammary tumors/cancer will be lessened.

She will no longer be able to contribute to the pet overpopulation problem.

You will no longer have to deal with an in heat female, and male dogs trying to get to her.

Risk:
Small risk with antesthisia.
Small risk of infection of the spay site.

Notice weight gain and personality change are not in there. Dogs gain weight for the same reason as people, to much food and not enough exercise. If you notice that your dog is getting to heavy then cut back her food and give her more exercise. If there is any personality change it should be for the better. Some dogs get really moody and cranky when they are in heat, spaying them keeps that from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.