Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a quandary, I am taking my dogs to the vet on the first for their annual and because as some may know Hiko had parvo (and fully recovered) this past month. Well Oppenheimer my one year and four month old fixed otherwise healthy male peed all over himself the other day! Here is the back story lets go back a few days. five days ago I came home from work and I spent a few minutes outside before I came in picking up some trash in my yard and pulling some weeds by the drive. Well when I came I found that Op had peed on the bed in the spot where he sits so he can see out the window when I leave and when I get home. The pup is fully housebroken with several layers of signals from staring at you by the back door to barking at you on the couch. Well I chalked that up to excitement and figured it was my fault for not getting the dogs out as soon as I got home. Fast forward to two days ago (the day the forum went out) we had a long day of relaxing on the couch together followed by play followed by the two of them spending three hours outside (adequate shade and water provided) while I cleaned the house. Then my sister came over, Op is a big time new people jumper, we don't get a lot of visitors and we have been working on it slowly. I got the bright idea to just leash him and bring him to the front door to greet April on the leash and it worked great he tried to jump once I told him no and lead him in a circle on theh leash then he sat down for pats and I dropped the leash and he didn't try anymore to jump. After I had him settled I let tiny terror (Hiko) out of her kennel and did the same. everyone had greeted and calmed and it had been about 40 minutes since she had been there and we were chilling in my a space I was sitting in a chair April was standing up and the dogs were laying on the floor in between us being chill and all of a sudden my sister goes oh oh omg your dog is peeing and Op was just laying there with his head up looking in the kitchen peeing all over himself. It was a ton of pee barely yellow almost clear in colour with no strong smell. We had playing in the hose and they do have a big (two or three gallon) bowl in the back yard. But he has never ever peed on himself, even as a six week old puppy (i know that was to young to be away from his mom he was a rescue) and I am not sure if it had something to do with the new leash technique or what?! What should I ask the doctor? Do you guys think it may be neurological? :ponder:

Just to give some answers you might ask: I use positive mostly food based training, he is very attached to me but friendly with every person and animal on the planet, he is housebroken and has been for months and has been recently given free roam of the house but after he peed on the bed my husband asked me to lock him out of the bedroom, he also chewed up my xbox controller yesterday but I think that may be in retaliation to my sister stopping by while we weren't at home and not letting him out and not staying but for ten minutes, he didn't swallow anything and he never does stuff like this. Also He hasn't done anything since then. Questions? Comments?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ashenpaw did this... including the diluted pee. He was laying on the couch and just leaked, happened three times close together! Tested his urine turned out he had a urinary tract infection. Antibiotics took care of him just fine. Hope that's all it turns out to be.

Reactions: twodogpack

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Definetly vet check, and its probly worth seeing if you can get him in before the 1st. Males are less likely to get UTIs but it does happen, and left untreated the infection can spread to the kidneys and that s*cks big time. You may want to have the vet check his kidney numbers and blood suar too. I'm probly forgetting something.....

IF the vet check comes back clean, then you'll need to sit down and look at training, but I'd look at his mecical first.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should I try to get a sample? How long would one be good for say kept in the fridge? Ok that seems gross but I love my furbaby.

Reactions: ruthcatrin

·
Registered
494 Posts
Samples usually need to be fresh--they prefer them collected VERY soon before testing. So, I would call and ask them. My vet collected Ash's sample in a pan right outside their door.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Ditto- I would not wait until the 1st and I'd catch his first pee that morning and have them submit a urinalysis and culture as well as perform full bloodwork to check on blood sugar, kidneys, liver, electrolytes etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Should I try to get a sample? How long would one be good for say kept in the fridge? Ok that seems gross but I love my furbaby.

Don't collect one ahead of time, when you get to the vets, leave the dog in the car, run in and let them know you're there and ask if they have something you can collect the urine sample in (or bring a disposable bowl or something). Go back out and be prepared to catch, cause every dog I've ever had has had to pee the ISNTANT they get out of the car at the vet. That way its fresh and theres no question.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Eh, I'm going to disagree a little only that first pee in the morning will let you know how well he is concentrating his urine (since he's held it all night) and the only thing that may change is the addition of a few crystals, which will happen anyway if you collect it right outside and they don't spin the samples down in-house.

Neither way is the sample sterile so having him NOT go before the appointment so they can collect a sterile one if they want it is best to check for a UTI.

My two cents. Either way, having a sample is better than not but it may not be "the best" sample.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well good news test came back negative, nothing wrong with Op, no heart worms or intestinal parasites either. Bad news, it is behavioral!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and I forgot to come on and post since I have been super duper busy at work but I couldn't take him to his regular vet as they are closed fri-sat-sun so I took him to a new one on Saturday, I took you guys advice on not waiting. I am glad I did even though it wasn't health issues because I would have worried myself to death.

Reactions: ruthcatrin

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Honestly, what you described doesn't sound like a behavioral issue. It sounds like incontinence, or unvoluntary release of the bladder, which is often medical or age related. The exception being urination from fear or over-excitement. Dogs don't usually pee while they are laying down unless they lack control of their bladder. That to me is an indication that something isn't right.

It is entirely possible that if he had a UTI, it cleared out on it's own. That can happen. For now I would just keep an eye on him. Make sure he gets plenty of potty breaks. See if it continues to happen, or if you see other odd symptoms like trying to pee but nothing coming out, or peeing more often.

If it happens again, go back to the vet, or even go to a different vet and get a second opinion.

Did you have a full blood panel done on him? How old is he?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I did not have a full blood panel done, he is a year and almost five months and he has acted completely normal ever since the accident. playing, drinking, and peeing like normal. As far as potty breaks go he hasn't been in his kennel longer then three hours in the past week and spends a lot of time in my fenced in backyard with his pal and they have a two or three gallon water bowl in the shade that gets cleaned and refiled every day. The doc couldn't find anything wrong with him and said he is healthy as ever. And like I said nothing else has happened since I think it was just pure excitment. that day was the first day he didn't jump on a guest and just turn them off to the idea of interacting with him. He weighs almost 80 pounds, if you are not a dog person and a dog like that jumps on you, you're not really going to want to interact with him after that. And we were talking about him when he did it using his name and talking about how shiny he was ( he has a seasonal allergy and his coat gets dull and he scratches at it and it has just gotten all nice again) I think the fact that my sister was paying attention to him that day and petting him and that we were currently talking about him using his name just made him excited.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts