Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am part of this Facebook group dedicated to fit dogs but for some reason it has become a bunch of people dedicated to "bulked up" dogs. I am not against that if that is what you want but if I have heard "pet weight" used in a negative context once I have heard it a thousand times.

I wanted to get opinions on how Trucker's weight was looking, since:

1. He had gotten chunky because I was "food lovin" him
  2. He is down to 55lbs (from 63lbs) which seems low
  3. He looks like a stegosaurus when he sits sometimes
  4. I am not a unbiased judge
  5. I stated trying to put weight back on him but I want opinions before I go and yo-yo his weight him (he gains really easy but struggles to lose)
  6. His body seems content to stay at 55lbs (he isn't gaining as easy this time)
I can't post there because you get answers like "well, you could add some muscle to him" but that is not what I want. I don't need him to be ripped, I just need him to be happy and healthy.

Here are some pictures (all from the last month):

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Well, obviously I'm not an expert or anything like that, but I think he looks great. Defined waist, nice tuck, not too ribby.
If you're nervous, you could always ask your vet, but I guess it depends on what they think "normal" is. My vet prefers pets on the thin side.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Shandula My vet has "fat" dogs mostly and he is their only hound. I was just worried when I saw the boat picture (had and OMG you look REALLY skinny). The vet always says he is at a good weight.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I think he looks great but I'm not an expert. Aspen is SUPER lean (I free feed so she can eat as much as she wants!) so I'm used to seeing that as normal. I've actually had someone tell me that I need to feed my dog - rude!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Aspen726 Thanks. Trucker would waddle if I free fed. People are rude considering most their dogs are sausages with legs. I think I got used to seeing him chunky so now I am overly worried.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Gorgeous dog, gorgeous scenery. Not too thin at all. My dogs are a bit chunky, its good to see perfect size dogs like yours.
If anyone makes any kind of snarky comment about your dog or how you take care of him, tell them to kiss your grits.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I often am told I am "starving" my dogs. :eyeroll:

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
884 Posts
He looks lean fit slim to me.
Very nice. If he was my dog, and he acted hungry, I would let him gain a bit of weight, or not be worried about weight gain. I don't mind letting my animals have a little extra padding over the ribs, as long as they have a waist and tuck and I can easilly feel the last two ribs.
With a flat coat like that, a healthy weight will always attract 'he's starving' comments, so just say he's a picky eater or athletic or something if you are feeling sociable.

I used to have a long coat shepherd who was on the thin side, a regular gsd who was a little chunky, and would often get a lecture that my long-coated gsd was too fat and my slightly chunky short-coated gsd was starving....

Edited to say: He looks Perfect. In many ways actually, healthy, shiny, fit.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He looks lean fit slim to me.
Very nice. If he was my dog, and he acted hungry, I would let him gain a bit of weight, or not be worried about weight gain. I don't mind letting my animals have a little extra padding over the ribs, as long as they have a waist and tuck and I can easilly feel the last two ribs.
With a flat coat like that, a healthy weight will always attract 'he's starving' comments, so just say he's a picky eater or athletic or something if you are feeling sociable.

I used to have a long coat shepherd who was on the thin side, a regular gsd who was a little chunky, and would often get a lecture that my long-coated gsd was too fat and my slightly chunky short-coated gsd was starving....

Edited to say: He looks Perfect. In many ways actually, healthy, shiny, fit.
Thanks :) I think I am a "Helicopter Mom", if I let him eat when ever he was "hungry" he would eat a 30lb bag of dog food in a day. He is goofy like that.

·
Registered
502 Posts
He looks great to me! Sleek and fit. Most hounds are grossly overweight, but that's not how they're supposed to be. I have 2 hound mixes, and I like to be able to see their ribs and a great tuck, but no obvious hip bones.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Thanks :) I think I am a "Helicopter Mom", if I let him eat when ever he was "hungry" he would eat a 30lb bag of dog food in a day. He is goofy like that.

He looks great to me!

It took me a good year to get the weight off of Zody, he's like Trucker he gains very easily then takes forever to lose it. I literally have to count calories with him and measure his food out very carefully, a few extra treats and he'll gain weight.

Like Trucker he always acts hungry. If he had it his way he'd eat 5 lbs of food in a day (he's only 10 lbs) and would vaguely resemble the Goodyear Blimp.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not only do I think he's at a good weight, I think he has decent muscle tone as well :) A scenthound isn't going to bulk up like an APBT or some sighthounds, as they were created for long distance endurance, rather than wrestling (fighting) or explosive short bursts of speed. You probably could condition him further to get slightly better muscle tone (like the fill along his spine, that tends to be the hardest to develop for lean dogs), but why bother unless you want to, or he needs greater exercise levels? I wouldn't cut his food further unless he begins to gain significantly, and if you increase his exercise, I would increase food as well, as sometimes dogs who are getting just "enough" calories tend to have flatter muscle as well. If by stegosaurus, you mean spine visible when sitting, I wouldn't worry much- it's not evident while he's standing (maybe a tiny bit in the boat pic, but it looks like he was breathing in/sniffing).

Bus right now is lean, and more muscular than most dogs of his breed (who tend to be roly poly fat), but not really conditioned right now. Part of it is that he's only been getting light exercise all summer, age may be a factor (he just turned 11), and his conformation (he's a dachshund) is such that he has to be incredibly fit or incredibly fat to completely hide some of his bones (hips and spine).

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm going to add into the he looks great group! I love seeing lean and fit dogs. Only hounds I've seen have no tuck and you couldn't feel a rib. He looks like he is in the same condition Aayla is in. Just Aayla is fluffy so most can't tell. I still have moments when she is wet that I think wow she is a lean dog. I get people telling me that Aayla is underweight. Vet says she is in perfect condition. Keep doing what you're doing. He is so handsome!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think a lot of people are just used to seeing "fat" dogs.

I have a friend who runs hounds and they can get fairly lean and he often worries that they are skinny. It can be tough with active dogs. Even just googling "BCS for dogs" and you should see that your guy really is in nice shape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts