Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*I hope I am posting this in the right spot*

Kimber had his first vet yesterday and everyone loved him. He did really well. I had a little trouble getting him in the door; he was scared of all the barking dogs next door at the dog hotel. I was really worried about him being hyper and jumping around, but after a minute he just sat down under my feet and got a nice head rub.

He weighs 44 lbs but the vet wants him to put on some weight. She said we want to be able to feel his ribs but not see them. She expects him to gain 5-10 pounds over the next month since he will be getting fed regularly. He got a clean bill of health. Nice ears and nose. No problems whatsoever. He does have a scar on his ear that she said looks like was some type of injury that never got treated.

We started him on HeartGuard. They tried to have me vaccinate him with coronaa/lepto. I have never gotten Kelsey vaccinated with that and it is not a required vaccinations so I thought I would wait and find out everyone's thoughts.

Everyone really loved him! LoL

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
the distemper vaccine, sometimes already includes lepto-leptosporosis. the vet at the hosp. i worked at was conservative about vaccinatons and didn't believe in over vaccination unless it was neccessary. she looked at the dog's lifestyle and gave the core vaccines (ones they should get like rabies and such ) and depending on lifestyle would give other vaccines as needed to each dog. we reccomended lepto be gotten where all dogs could poss. be around wildlife or areas where wildlife comes in contact with water. also if a boarding/grooming kennel requires it. we also would vaccinate all puppies for it (it goes they get their 1st 2nd 3rd dhpp vacc. then around the 3rd one they get lepto) corona is what some boarding kennels or breeders get vaccinated with. we kept the vaccine on hand if the owner requested it, but didn't give it often. if you live around a pretty woody zone i would reccomend getting lepto.

lepto:
Leptospirosis in Dogs How They Catch It, How We Cure It, How We Prevent It

corona:

Coronavirus infection aka corona virus affects many dogs

~MSE

PS- forgot to add, good job with your first time with him at the vet! :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I don't purposely use that set of vaccines but like Emmy said it is often combined with distemper.

If I was in a high risk area I would tho...another thing is alot of people are shying away from yearly vaccinations...no harm in getting a vaccine once , its the boosters that are the most harmful IMO.

glad he did well at the vet :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I agree that unless you are in an area where it is high risk for any of those I would not worry about it. For example where I am, there is lots of Parvo so I will always have my dogs vaccinated for that but not every year, only every 2-3 depending on titer results.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
WOOT!! That's awesome they liked him :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts