Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never used puppy pads before and since Harley already had them and he is to small to go outside in the back yard right now I thought I would just use them.

My question is are the puppies suppose to poop and pee on them? Because he pooped for the first time today it was kinda near the pad but not really. Then he peed once on one of them. I have two in my bedroom for night time, one in his xpen, one by each the slider and the front door.

Harley doesnt go to them and use them. So when ever the other dogs go out I put him on the pad near the slider and just say potty go potty. But he cowers and shakes or he will just sit down. Am I doing it right, lol.

Once I patch a whole in the outdoor guinea pig yard he will be able to go out in there to go potty, the pigs only use it in the summer so yah. But any ways any idea on the pads? He pees everywhere els...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I started out using the pads for Opal even though I really wanted her go outside. It ended up confusing her terribly. If you ultimately want him to go outside then I'd say consistently take him outside. Try the jingle bell method! ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I find that the pads can do more harm than good sometimes, confusing the dog on exactly where they are supposed to relieve themselves. I would just do regular house breaking and keep taking him outside. A dog is never too little to go outside, but if he is really young then take him outside personally while leaving the other dogs inside the house to lessen the distractions on what your pup is supposed to be doig out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the pads do more harm than good as a previous poster said. If you can just start with housetraining as normal and take the little guy outside.

if you have to use the pads keep an eye on your pup and when you know he needs to go pick him up and put him on the pad. Hopefully he pee's and then you say your training word "potty" or "hurry up"

If you buy good quality pads they are super absorbant and therefore re-use them so his scent is still there, ensure his scent isnt anywhere else and he should go back and use the pad again and again.

If he poo's on the pad pick up the poo and dispose of it, leaving the pad still there so he can smell it out when he needs to go again.

When the time comes to change the pad, try and rub the old pad on the new one so the scent rubs off. In my experience dog toilet behaviour is a scent game as you no doubt know, dogs will usually go to the same spot time and time again to do their business. Just keep this in mind when you are toilet training him.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I do not agree, I think puppy pads are good to use especially if you are renting a place with carpet or even just own a place with carpet. I have dogs who are not confused when it came to potty training. I started by moving my dog to the puppy pad to go potty then once they had time doing this, I started to move them outside when they went on the pad, and then slowly removed the puppy pad. All but one of my dogs (a chihuahua who was found on the street) do not mess in the house. She does not do it all the time but occasionally

1 - 5 of 5 Posts