Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is my first time raising a dog from a puppy I have some concerns that I need verified. My puppy is now 8 weeks I got her at 6 weeks. She sleeps a lot and I am wondering why she is so tired if her breed personality is very active. After reading some of those initial puppy training and behavior traits I worry that she is not engaging with me or her surroundings.

Please help me if this is normal or tips to help get her engaged and accept her surroundings.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
6 weeks is still very young and should've still been with her littermates and Mum for another 2-4 weeks.

I would get her to the vet ASAP, a Mal pup should not be quiet or sleeping all the time.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Get her to the vet now. Your getting her at 6 weeks of age tells me you either got her from a back yard breeder, or she's a product of a puppy mill. Either of those means that she was not bred to be as healthy as she can be. She should be very active at 8 weeks old, basically playing, then napping.

Mals are not good dogs for first time owners, once you know she's healthy please get in contact with a good positive reinforcement based trainer who can help you.

https://bayareadogtrainer.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/note-to-the-american-public-belgian-malinois-look-dont-touch/

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Agreed, speak with a vet. Is she up to date with all her shots?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
How is she when she's not sleeping. Puppies sleep a LOT. If she's lethargic all the time that is indicative of a problem.

How is her weight? Have you de wormed her?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, she has had her first round of shots. Her weight currently is around 10lbs and growing. She's 9 weeks now, she plays a lot now and she sleeps a lot too. I have a feeling now that she was still getting acquainted to her new home.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Lord help you, have you owned a breed like a Mal before?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Haha, well thank you for the replies and your concerns.

But you don't know how my lifestyle is.

I read and did a lot of research before deciding on a Mal. I have a VERY active life and the research I did matched the Mal to my life's desires.

I had to retire my previous dog because she could not keep up with us anymore. Thus the Mal came into the picture.

So yes, Lord help me have a most wonderful adventure with my new little (soon to be big) buddy.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
If you put as much research as you said you did, why would you decide on a breeder that has given you an underage puppy. Any knowledgeable, reputable breeder would not let their puppy leave the mother until it was AT LEAST 8 weeks. If not more.

Because of the breed (EXTREMELY smart) plus her being taken away from her mother too early I would really recommend you get in contact with a trainer and start working on socialization as soon as she has all of her shots. She needs to be around everything, children, adults, dogs, and other different surroundings. She's also going to need just as much mental exercise as physical. So training, usually a sport of some sort, plus I would start looking up a ton of mind games. An idol Mal is a troublesome Mal.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I wasn't trying to offend, Mals are known to be extremely intense. I hope people out there are praying for me and my dogs, because they drive me crazy somedays.

You need to find a positive reinforcement trainer ASAP, and begin an amazing socialization program, preferably a puppy socialization class, as your guy probably needs some bite inhibition training. I have to agree with @jclark343, an amazing breeder wouldn't DREAM of letting a puppy go before eight weeks, minimum.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Research is good. With some breeds, Mal's being one of them, research lacks one thing and that's in person experience with the breed. That's best gotten through a reputable breeder and or a training club.

No one wants you to feel like you can't handle this dog but we want you to be aware that a well bred Mal is not a dog for the average dog owner. Since this may not be a well bred Mal, that could be a good thing or it could be even worse.

Find a mentor who owns the breed as soon as possible. Someone other than the breeder you bought from. Someone with experience with the breed and hopefully someone who can help you find a trainer.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Since this is my first time raising a dog from a puppy I have some concerns that I need verified. My puppy is now 8 weeks I got her at 6 weeks. She sleeps a lot and I am wondering why she is so tired if her breed personality is very active. After reading some of those initial puppy training and behavior traits I worry that she is not engaging with me or her surroundings.

Please help me if this is normal or tips to help get her engaged and accept her surroundings.
Even mals sleep. ;) At that age especially, sleeping a fair amount is normal.

Enjoy it while you can, things will get wild soon enough. :p

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yes, she has had her first round of shots. Her weight currently is around 10lbs and growing. She's 9 weeks now, she plays a lot now and she sleeps a lot too. I have a feeling now that she was still getting acquainted to her new home.
Shots are not de worming. Breeders are infested with worms, almost all puppies come with them which is why you need to de worm and then follow up with a second pill 2 weeks after the first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes she has been dewormed at 6 weeks and 8 weeks and the vet checked her stool and did not find anything in the abnormal.

My vet also informed my after having asked him the question of what was the downside of taking her home 2 weeks early (at 6 weeks old) and he didn't say anything was wrong with that. The only difference is that at 8 weeks they've matured a bit more.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
There is some benefit to the doing the maturing with their family although there has been a quite a bit of inflation in the recommended time. From 5 weeks, which is what I always remember hearing, to 6 then to 8 then 12 and now I've even heard some people recommending 16!

Either way its not worth worrying about since you can't change the past.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Yes she has been dewormed at 6 weeks and 8 weeks and the vet checked her stool and did not find anything in the abnormal.

My vet also informed my after having asked him the question of what was the downside of taking her home 2 weeks early (at 6 weeks old) and he didn't say anything was wrong with that. The only difference is that at 8 weeks they've matured a bit more.

Health wise it's fine to do so, however behavior wise it's a bad practice.

Is This the Reason Why Adult Dogs Have Behavior Problems?
How to Socialize a Puppy | Puppy Training Tips | Pet360 - Pet360 Pet Parenting Simplified

Did you know that in many states in the U.S. it's against the law to sell puppies younger then 8 weeks?
https://www.animallaw.info/article/overview-laws-restricting-age-puppies-sale

·
Registered
900 Posts

What would you say the ratio is between sleep and play? I have never had a Mal puppy before, but I do know that some pups basically sleep their puppy-hood away. My dog Timber was one of those. He slept so much and when he woke up...he was a young adult, lol.

To be honest, I would get blood work and urinalysis just to make sure there aren't any underlying causes for her excessive sleeping. At the least, it will give you a baseline to work with as she grows and gets older.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts