Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have had my pup malamute (8wks old) come home yesterday and would like some advice.

I have done plenty of research before getting him but i think i am making some mistakes which are causing Rain to pee inside and last night he pooped his crate on day one.

I feed him at 9am, 1pm, 5pm and 8pm but leave water for him which he has access to 24/7 in his crate. I understand that he needs taking out for pee or poop every morning soon as im up, after food, after a nap and after play. I leave a gap of 15-25 minutes after each of these occur other then in the morning when i take him out immediately. I stay with him outside for 15-20minutes and sometimes he will pee or poo. Depending on which he does i will take him back inside and let him relax and keep an eye on him to see if he gives me any signals to go again but he will just in the middle of play for example just pee on the floor.

Please help me and let me know what i can be doing differently. Should i be altering his feeding intervals, should i feed 3 times as opposed to 4. Im so confused!

Johnny

·
Registered
140 Posts
Potty training should be quick and painless if done right. Here are a couple guidelines to follow:

1) Your puppy should be kept in a small, enclosed part of the house while potty training. Set up a baby gate to section off your kitchen, laundry room, bathroom, etc. Leave your puppy's crate in here as well.

2) Your puppy should only be allowed out of this area after she has used the bathroom. If you take her out on a potty break, and she goes potty, then she is allowed to play supervised in the rest of the house until her next potty break. If she has an accident or does not use the bathroom when you take her outside, she goes back in her "room" until her next chance.

3) Make sure you are giving her treats when she uses the bathroom outside. Hopefully you already know this, but you'd be surprised how many people ask for help with potty training and act surprised when I tell them that they need to be rewarding their puppy for going outside.

4) Try to take your puppy out every 30 minutes to an hour. The more times you can "capture" her going potty in the grass, the faster she will learn. Give her lots of opportunities and watch for signs like: stopping play and going to a corner of the room, sniffing the floor in circles, whining. If you notice this pick her right up and take her to the yard!

I use these guidelines to potty train. For the most part, I can get puppies at least 90% reliable within about 5 days. My own Akita pup was finished in just a couple days. It's easy when you have a plan and routine.

Feeding 4 times a day is fine, and it's good you keep water for him 24/7.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I guess it depends on how long he is in the crate. I never have but I make sure they have enough time out of the crate to drink enough water. If in the crate it gets knocked over. Also, I limit my puppy's water intake during the evening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts