Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently introduced a 3 yr old rescue dog- Abbey - into our household. Our other rescue -Bella - is a 4 yr old Aussie mix - very submissive but energetic. Never having had 2 dogs before I have a few questions:
1. I give them each a Kong with peanut butter once daily. I have them both sit and give them each one. It never fails though that my older dog gobbles hers down and then attempts to take the new dogs. Abby usually responds with a growl and then Bella backs off but as soon as Abby walks away from the Kong - Bella grabs it. Should I let her have it or take it away since it was meant for Abby?
2. Bella has always had her "spot" on a chair by the window. It is where she rests, naps, hangs. Abby has tried often to lie in her chair. When that happens, Bella usually just lays in front of the chair and waits until Abby gets down and jumps on her chair. We have been removing Abbey from that spot and leading her to a spot on the couch that she can call hers. Are we doing the right thing?
3. We've noticed that when they are inside they often wrestle and play but outside they just walk around not really interacting. How do I get them to play outside and be calmer once inside? The house is small and there have been a few casualties already LOL.
4. Bella has always slept at the foot of my bed. Her bedtime routine is me telling her it is nitetime, she gets a treat and then we go to bed. She gets some loves and then she lies at the foot of the bed and sleeps all night. However, now that Abbey has arrived, Bella is having trouble settling down at night. Abbey will jump on the bed and then the 2 begin to wrestle and play or one starts to chase the other and it takes a while to get them both to settle down. I don't want to crate Abbey at night since Bella is not crated. Any ideas how I can establish a bedtime routine?
Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Definitely don't let Bella have Abby's kong. I don't allow my dogs to take each other's chew toys. It lessens the bickering when they know whos is whos and that they're not allowed to have the other dogs anyways.

I also agree that Abby shouldn't be allowed to take Bella's spot. You don't want Bella to feel displaced by the new dog. My dogs each have their spots and it's easier that way.

2 dogs is more to juggle at first, but it gets easier in time. Between me and my roommates, we have 6 dogs, and that's just a zoo lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts