Dog Forum banner

First time dog owner

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Madra Anamchara 
#1 ·
My dog is 8 months old, I brought her home for the first time pretty early in age at only 5 weeks. I grew up with 5 dogs of 3 different breeds in the household, but this is my first dog I’ve ever owned. So I’m not very experienced in dog training, but I’ve been a dog lover my whole life. My dog is a pitsky breed so her behavior is extremely hyperactive and energetic but very defiant as well. I take her to the dog park at least once a day for a couple hours because I live in an apartment so I don’t have a yard for her to play in. Lately her behavior has been more defiant then ever and she is as vocal as she is energetic. Especially when she doesn’t get to have her way.

#2 ·
I don't think dogs are defiant as such. In fact, I'd say there are three main reasons in my view why a dog doesn't comply with what we ask.

First, she doesn't understand. That's where training comes in, you need to teach her what you want, and reward when she gets it right so she knows she has done the right thing.

Second, the motivation or reward of doing what she is already doing is higher than the motivation or reward of doing what you are asking. This is why some dogs won't, for example, recall when they are playing or chasing squirrels. So make sure what you offer is of far higher value - or, if you can't beat something like a squirrel chase, don't allow the opportunity for it to happen (i.e. don't set her up to fail). Use a leash or a long line to keep control.

Third, you are working against a deeply rooted breed trait that the dog has been selectively bred for over centuries. There is a reason why we don't use terriers to herd sheep - it can be done but it is a lot harder.

Added to that, she is just getting into adolescence so she will be becoming a bit more independent.

If you can be more specific about what you are asking her to do when she is being 'defiant', we can try to offer advice.

#3 ·
If by "defiant" you mean being vocal and not wanting to recall, it's a lot of @JoanneF 's 2 and 3. Plus, huskies are notorious for being vocal and independent. So, I'd advise working on her recall on a long line at a park at quiet times. And, what do you do when she does come? I'd try stepping up to a higher reward like a treat or maybe something else that's fun.

#4 ·
Please stop thinking of your dog as "defiant". It will only damage your relationship, and it is not true. Your dog is a puppy and just needs training. The advice given above is good. If you continue to think of her in that negative and false way, it will color all the ways in which you see your dog and her actions, and will make it harder for you to do her training correctly. The dog will sense your attitude and it will put a barrier between the two of you and that's the last thing you need with any dog, especially a husky cross. Remember instead that she simply has not learned enough yet, just the same as you didn't know a lot when you first went to school and had to learn. If you didn't know the answer to a question it was not out of defiance but out of ignorance. Think of her in this way and the training will go better.

I highly recommend you get hold of this book and read it. It will help you to understand dogs much better and it is very easy and fun to read as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.