Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get my family's first dog in the next few months. I need a breed that's chill and naturally non-dominant. I want a medium or large dog. What do you guys think about spinone, rough collie, or standard poodle?

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
Can you add a bit more about what you are looking for?

What exercise will you be doing, what are your views on grooming, what is it you are meaning by 'non-dominant'? Do you want a dog that is easy to train and handler focussed or more independent?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Not a lot to go on.. Why those three breeds? I have to say most rough collies Ive known have been anything but chilled..My aunts dog is like a constant squeaky wheel as it whines almost constantly 24/7..

Non dominant ? Id have to raise the same questions as JoanneF on that point. what do you mean by non dominant..

A soft natured chilled dog to have in the house? a retired greyhound or medium sized a beagle. (not easily trained and neither good off lead)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have met quite a few Spinones and they have typically been very high energy. A lot of the birding/gun dogs are high energy.
The breeds you listed are rated fairly high in intelligence
.. and the smart dogs get bored the fastest.
Like said in previous replies you need to think about how much/what kind of exercise you'll wanna do. Couch potato? Maybe not a wild athlete dog then(go bulldog or clumber). Runner? Go for the bird dogs why not (grab a viszla). Little kids? Probably not a bouncy boxer or juggernaut lab (try a senior adoption!).
Theres a dog for everyone luckily!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts