Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Andy and I am a first time pet owner. My wife and I just got a Jack Russel Terrier mix with lab name Su Su last Sat August 24th. As I googling for help with my baby, I come across this website and this website is "AWSOME." I do have some question I need help with, so please help me.

- Crate training: I saw on video of youtube, all the dogs went into the crate peacefully and stay there quietly. Mine, I had to trick her with treat, and the minute I close the door, she start whining. How should I deal with this? Just ignore her? My wife and I couldn't bare to listen to whining, just make us feel so bad for her. This is bad right?

- Potty train: When I know she need to go wee wee, I took her outside, but it take her forever to find a spot to wee wee, is this normal? and pooping, mine baby doesn't poop outside at all. Even when I take her outside to poop when I know that she need to poop, she would just run around, sniff around for up to an hour. Just when I have enough and take her inside, she poop inside the house.

- Exercise pen: I am not sure how big will a JRT lab get, but I am planning to get a exercise pen for her, will a 24" wide by 30" height big enough? Or should I go for the 24" wide and 42" height?

Any help and advice are greatly appreciate,
Andy

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hello all,

My name is Andy and I am a first time pet owner. My wife and I just got a Jack Russel Terrier mix with lab name Su Su last Sat August 24th. As I googling for help with my baby, I come across this website and this website is "AWSOME." I do have some question I need help with, so please help me.

- Crate training: I saw on video of youtube, all the dogs went into the crate peacefully and stay there quietly. Mine, I had to trick her with treat, and the minute I close the door, she start whining. How should I deal with this? Just ignore her? My wife and I couldn't bare to listen to whining, just make us feel so bad for her. This is bad right?

- Potty train: When I know she need to go wee wee, I took her outside, but it take her forever to find a spot to wee wee, is this normal? and pooping, mine baby doesn't poop outside at all. Even when I take her outside to poop when I know that she need to poop, she would just run around, sniff around for up to an hour. Just when I have enough and take her inside, she poop inside the house.

- Exercise pen: I am not sure how big will a JRT lab get, but I am planning to get a exercise pen for her, will a 24" wide by 30" height big enough? Or should I go for the 24" wide and 42" height?

Any help and advice are greatly appreciate,
Andy
Crate Training try this
potty training to poop make sure and walk the pup it encourages them to go.
I would put the leash on and walk
As far as an exercise pen is this for in the house to keep the pup contained or for exercise? If its for exercise I would just walk or even better run with the pup. Between these two breeds this pup will need lots of exercise so put on your running shoes and get ready.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Dawnben,

As I tried to crate train her, now it seem like she has seperation anxiety. Anytime that I am not there, she start to cry. Or when I close the crate, she start to cry. But other then that, she do goes in the crate to eat and play.

As for walk and run, she only have her first set of shot and deworm, and I live in a town home so no back yard. What can I do to tired her out? or exercise her? It is kind of weird but my puppy sleep all the time, and she bored of her toy very fast. I bought her a squeaky tennis ball, and 10 minutes later she stop playing with the ball. Plus she doesn't play fetch with me :( I tried the kong, same deal, once the food is gone, she doesn't play with it any more. How should I play with her?

Thank you so much in advance for all your help and advice,
Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

We also adopted a Jack Russell lab mix. She is 4 months old now. Crate training wasn't too hard. In the beginning she cried a bit too. We put in a t-shirt with our scent on it and for the first few weeks put her crate beside our bed so she could be close to us but still be in her crate. That worked out really well. Now her crate is downstairs and she's fine.
We also tried to make her crate a really nice and comforting place. We'd leave the door open a lot when we were home and encourage her to play with toys in there. She's grown to really love her crate.

As for peeing, we had the same issue. She'd walk around outside forever. But now, 10 weeks later she's found the spot where she likes to pee and goes there every time. I guess she was just looking for her right space ;). We give her lots of praise and treats.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts