Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The command "come" is one of, if not the most important command you can teach your dog. It also should be one of the first you teach and is very easy to teach, even to a stubborn dog. "come" should be a command that you only have to say once. If you find yourself screaming the command "comes" over and over and over again, than you need to have some more training sessions with your dog.
The reason it is so important is because it can save your dog's life. Almost every dog owner has a story where their dog takes off after an animal right into the street. Some people unfortunately have stories where there dog got hit by a car chasing an animal or just running around. Dogs are smart, but they do not know the dangers around them and this is why it is so important. On the easier side of things it is just nice to have a dog that you are in control of. When you want your dog to come, 1 simple command and here they come running. It's a good feeling when you say something and your dog reacts instantly.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Can you tell us how to teach them to come? I have a 6 yo Sheltie that we rescued a year ago and a 4 year old Sheltie/Pomeranian mix that we rescued Feb. 13. He's just about learned his new name. We didn't know his original one unfortunately.

The 6 yo will come if he knows I have treats. He's such a porky boy that I've cut down DRASTICALLY on his treats and food.

The new one will come most of the time. He likes to be outside and once in awhile he ignores me when he's out. Or he'll stand and look at me and not move.

Any help appreciated!

Jo

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
does the author of that article know you are posting it? You have cut and pasted it from another site.

Sheltie mama.... how does he know you have treats? Is there som'thing else you can use like a toy?

I can walk you through it if you like.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
If he (Scotty) can see the treats or if I ask him if he wants one, he'll hot foot it over to me. lol

The mix (Rascal) is definitely NOT treat oriented. He's the only dog I ever saw that actually has turned them down! But I have found one he likes pretty well now.

Scotty lived with a woman that passed away a year ago last December. She was 86. He doesn't know how to play. I don't know if she wouldn't/didn't play with him or if it's just his nature. I've tried all manner of toys and he just doesn't seem to "get it".

Rascal will run after a toy if I throw it. He hasn't a clue about bringing it back to me however.

Rascal will come to me fairly often, Scotty will come as he chooses. Neither will come if they think they need to stay outside longer. :(

Any help appreciated. I am not good at training. Mostly because I don't know how, I think.

Jo

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
hahah...no worries..

main thing if you train with treats is not to show it to the dog...if you do its now a bribe not a reward... dog who are bribed will only work if you have treats. Dogs who are rewarded will work anytime.

Som'times dogs that have been born in puppy mills...or taken from mum too early, or not socialized young don't play as adults...occasionally they are just that way.

Come is ussually taught with the dog on a long leash and you call the dog...if it comes to you reward/praise....if not gently reel the dog in and reward/praise....repeat repeat repeat... in many differnt settings.

To get him to bring the toy back you teach the behavior in reverse...start with the dog holding the toy and giving it to you, then tossing it..then throwing it....the dog learns the game ends and starts over only if he gives you the toy. You also have to stop throwing it if they don't bring it back.

Clicker, or marker training is a good way to go...its the same method used in zoos and aquariums and is pretty simple...

Karen Pryor Clickertraining| dog training and cat training info, books, videos, events

good luck

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
AH HA! no showing of treats until AFTER they come! Got it. As usual, I was doing it backwards. :(

Off to read about clicker stuff.

Thanks!

Jo

·
Registered
620 Posts
My boys now come when I call them and as soon as they're inside, they get their treat. They know to expect it and are very well mannered as I give it to them.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well we had a relapse today. Rascal (my newest rescue that we've now had a month) decided he wasn't coming in this afternoon. It was 65* outside and the housekeeper was inside running the sweeper. He couldn't see any reason to come when I called him. :(

I tried 3-4 different times to get him to come in. I finally went out and got him to come up to me and then made him go in the house. Held on to his collar and insisted.

He was mad at me for hours afterward!

But when he went out awhile ago (dark and almost bedtime) he came right back in when I called.

Jo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts