Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
his name is barney. he 6 mo old and by one of my pic youll see hes male(sorry). i got him from someone at work who couldnt keep him. the guy said he was beagle/basset mix. now that ive had him for a week im confused about his breed. he has webbed feet, and his hight and colors are throwing me off. any opinions on his breed would be helpful. thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah theres some kind of hound. the thing i dont get is his colors and height. anyone else have a clue? thanks again!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
He's adorable!! I agree -coon hound is in there. At first before I could see size I was thinking doxy but definitely not ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
The body looks to be Beagle, and the tail and head look coonhound"ish". I would say he is definitely a hound high-breed of some kind.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
he has the same colors as my pup! my dog is part hound too.

I would guess there is possibly beagle and some sort of coonhound or other hound as said above, he doesn't look droopy enough to be a black and tan coonhound. more like the profile of blue tick coonhound but who knows for sure :p.

he almost looks a bit like his coonhound.

Coonhound Breed Profile

~MSE

·
Registered
238 Posts
My neighbour has a dog that looks exactly like yours and he's a beagle mixed with walker hound. You have a beauty there

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you all have helped very much but now i wanna know exactly what he is. is a dna test going to pin point it? if his mom is breed "xx" and his dad is "OO" wouldnt that make him "xxoo"? i dont know how that works

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
you all have helped very much but now i wanna know exactly what he is. is a dna test going to pin point it? if his mom is breed "xx" and his dad is "OO" wouldnt that make him "xxoo"? i dont know how that works
sorry, but i'm afraid you'll be disappointed with a dna test, especially with your dog...i may be wrong, but i think that most of the scent hounds share some common ancestry...that would make it really hard for that type of dna test to have any accuracy..i think the only way to really know, at this point, is to see the parents and hope you can tell what they are. it would be cool for the dna test to work...i think they are getting better, but not just yet...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts