Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My partner and I collected our very first puppy yesterday! A gorgeous 9 week old boy French Bulldog; something that we've wanted for a while. During his first night here, he's been crated in another room away from our bedroom. I woke him up at 1am and 3.30am to go bathroom and he cried for about 25 minutes after both times he was returned to bed but then settled down until we got up a 6am.
Having read dozens of (often contradicting) webpages on how to train it, I decided to come here and seek some advice directly. We have started crate training having read the benefits of helping with toilet training and, apart from 2 small accidents today, every other time has been successful. I am due to go back to work in 3 weeks and we intend to have him crate trained to be able to cope for a few hours in the morning until we get someone to let him out halfway through the day for a walk and eventually cope for a work day (7.30am-3.30pm).
Today, he always wants to be on my lap if the crate is open so i let him drop off to sleep then move him to his bed where he stays for up to an hour. I take him straight to bathroom when he wakes, we play a little or he chills out with his toys for a few minutes by himself, then its back to my lap if i let him (I'm trying not to every time but he wont stay in bed to sleep).
The main issue that I am struggling with his just HOW to go about easing him into being by himself. Am i being around him too much and hes not going to learn? Today, I left some treats and fav. toys in his crate and he lasted a few minutes but then started crying, as expected. Am i to ignore the crying until he settles down a little and then let him out or do i set a time limit for myself e.g. 2 minutes to start and then let him out? Do i need to calm him down before I let him out so he knows quiet means door-open?
I hope I've been clear and sorry for all the questions. I just really want to make the dog happy here and not develop separation anxiety.
Any advice will be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Do not open the door unless he is quiet. If you taken him out to eliminate and put him back in the crate do not open the door if he is crying because if you do he will think WOW all I have to do is keep it up and he will let me out. I know its hard but it will pay off in the end. This may help also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxhcb-itO4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just for confirmation, if i close the door on him when he naps in the day and he cries when he wakes, i should leave him til he calms down then let him out? I've only done a bit of training with him to be in there when hes awake - up to about 25 seconds with me out of the room and him playing. thanks for all the advice! its really helping

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Yes, if you open the door with him crying he will think that is why you let him out. He only needs to stop for a minute or so before you let him out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely think im making progress.... he still cries when hes put back in his crate after nighttime bathroom breaks but they are getting shorter bursts. one thing i had to do last night was let him out of his crate while he was a little vocal but he hadn't been to the bathroom before bed and as soon as we were outside, he peed, so im hoping this was the correct decision. If i decide to have him in the crate for 2 minutes today with the door closed and him awake, should i be in the room with him for the duration? He tends to get more vocal if he can see me sitting nearby. Do i just wait for him to settle down, even if that takes longer than the 2 minutes i intended to give him?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
If he wakes up after being in the crate for a while and cries it is likely he has to go to the bathroom. Let him out to go and then put him back in and wait for him to settle and then you can let him out. Its probably a good idea to get him used to being alone. I would put the crate in another room and give him 15 minutes a few times a day, 2 minutes is not enough. If you need to crate him while you go to work its better for you to do the training while you are home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts