Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
It takes at least a few days for a puppy to settle in. He's a baby, he's been taken from his mom/siblings/home to a brand-new place, with brand new people. Right now, you want to make him feel safe, comfortable and secure. You've got three weeks, so I'd give him a couple more days of snuggles/love before really working on him being alone.

A lot of people recommend letting them cry it out, but I personally am not sure it's the best idea. Research is beginning to show that dog's emotional life isn't that much different than humans (albeit simpler), and it's no longer recommended to let baby humans "cry it out". A few minutes of crying, but then some reassurance is thought to build trust and confidence in babies, and maybe its the same with puppies. So I'd be inclined to offer more 'comfort' than discipline, and work on gradually increasing his 'alone time', perhaps only by a minute at a time. If he cries after 3 minutes alone, I'd only leave him alone for two minutes (with something interesting), then drop back for 15 or 30 seconds, then leave for another 2 minutes, then come back for a few seconds, then leave for 2 mins and 30 seconds. The point is that he needs to understand that he can be alone, and that you will come back. I'd want to prevent him getting to the point of crying, because that's when fear starts; I'd want him to feel comfortable/content when I wasn't there, even if it was only for two minutes initially and build on that.

But, like I say that's my personal opinion based on very recent research about dogs. It goes against almost every recommendation I've seen.

Edited to add: for the overnight crying, some people have had success by having the puppy's bed right beside their bed, so that they can immediately respond with touch to help the puppy feel secure. It doesn't seem to interfere with dogs learning to sleep in other areas of the house later.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.