Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago we got a companion for our current dog. After these first few weeks I'm wondering on whether we need to rehome our new dog. Our first dog is no longer acting like herself. She used to get her puppy bursts and run zoomies through the yard. Shed get excited when I come home. Shed play with her toys and sleep in my bed. Now she doesnt even want to go into the bedroom. She walks around the house with her head down like shes in trouble. She doesnt get excited about much of anything anymore. She wont play with her toys and she is starting to lose interest in her treats as well. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not sure what to do. Should i start looking for a new home for the new dog or let this continue on for longer and see what happenes?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Some dogs will just take more time to adjust. Try to make the dogs come get a long, to create a good bond. Long walks together is great to creat a good relationship between dogs. Have you been giving her less attention since getting the new dog?

What breeds are the dogs? How is the new dog? Is it a dog who takes much place and attention from the other dog?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our first pup is a blus nose pitty. Our new pup is a pit/boxer mix. We've been taking them for walks together. I haven't noticed her getting less attention than before. They dont really seem to get along to well. He won't ever leave her alone when shes done playing so she ends up hiding. Or if he comes downstairs she wont come down. Shes not a fan of being in the same room as him. I really don't want to rehome our new pup. Hes a really sweet boy, with lots of energy, but its seeming like this isn't the right home for him. I really love the big lug, but she was here first and I dont want her thinking she has to hide to be happy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Only you can determine if the new dog needs a new home. It’s hard to know how bad the situation is or what you can do without seeing the dogs. But it sounds like your new dog is too much for her. Have you tried to interrupt and take away the boxer when he is being too much for her? They can play when they both think its fun but when she doesn’t want to anymore you take the boxer away. He needs to respect her. Not all dogs will tell the other dogs when its enough and that’s when we need to go between. If she gets to be left alone and he starts to respect her I think it might work out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do intervene. When I see her trying to get away from him I can tell shes done playing. I get him to stop, but as soon as I move he runs right back over and starts nipping at her trying to play again. Sometimes I have to shut him in the bedroom because he wont leave her alone. She doesnt growl, or bark, or get mean with him. But she trys everything she can to get away from him and nothing works.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don’t let him run to her again. If he runs to her when you move, put him on a leash or separate them in different rooms. She needs to have her space and time to adjust to a new dog. Is the new dog very hyper all the time? Is he getting the right exercise? Otherwise that might be a thing to look over since he will get calmer if he gets the right exercise and activity.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Some dogs thrive on being 'the only' dog, others crave canine companionship. Ours is very happy with her 'only dog' status. I don't believe she would ever adjust to sharing her space with another dog. We would never even attempt to bring another dog into our environment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your dog sounds depressed. When you decided to get a second dog did you have the dogs meet in a neutral place before deciding to bring home a puppy? Did you know beforehand if your dog even liked the company of other dogs?

·
Super Moderator
391 Posts
My goodness @Fashion, your wonder solution seems to cure every issue anyone has ever had - even reviving long dead zombie threads. I don't follow dodgy links but have reported you for spamming as it's getting rather tiresome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts