Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two very large, very well known horse barns in my area were lost to fire within the last week. Thankfully, due to good general practices, very little lives were lost. This prompted me to put out a PSA on the subject.

Re: horses. We keep a halter and a lead on every single stall when the horses are in. The doors to the fields are open at night when the horses are in the barns. If we need to just open doors and let them run, they would run right into their fields (which are a safe distance from the barn). My barn manager is working on setting up a fire drill with the local fire department to have them come out and evacuate the horses. Loud sirens, flashing lights and firefighter uniforms can be VERY scary to an already scared horse. Better to practice when their lives are not at risk. My barn is old (as are many in the area) and while it's impeccably maintained, it would go up fast. Time would be critical.

Re: dogs and other household pets. I keep a collar and leash by the door at all times. I use a different one on a day to day basis so the 'emergency one' will only be taken off the hook in an emergency. I also keep a bag with dog food for a few days in a drawer by the door. I change it each time I buy a new bag of food to keep it fresh. I do this because I am comforted to know that I have a few days to grab her a bag of food if everything I own were gone. Dogs and cats are obviously easier than horses, but I still think it's good to prepare for the unexpected. The collar and leash by the door is also helpful if you aren't home and firefighters have to go in and get the dog.

Hopefully we never need this but I think it's so important to prepare for the ones we love that cannot prepare themselves.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I've gotten into the practice of purchasing a small bag of Tessa's kibble and keeping it in the mudroom/back door for a quick go bag. I also would like to mention placing a placard in your window/mailbox saying your pet's inside/what pet you have inside helps to let the firefighters know which houses are clear and which ones they may need to spend more time "clearing". It helped save quite a few pets during the Fort McMurray fires.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I saw you post the imagines of one of the barn fires. Not long ago we had a large Pacer farm burn down around here. Unfortunately 13 horses died. So tragic. Many others were left with horrible burns.

I've spent many nights up and thinking about what I would do in a tragic situation. (Specifically Tornadoes. Tornadoes freak me out.) Both of my dogs have collars on all the time (I know all the dangers. Positives outweigh the good over bad) Leashes are by the door. I also keep spare leashes in the car just in case. Luckily my parents live nearby so if anything were to happen we would be going straight there. My dogs eat their food in pinches all the time so I don't have to worry about food, just would have to get out of the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts