Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI there! I'm getting a new puppy soon and I need to get a training tray for the puppy pads I'm going to be using. I want to get the Costco branded pads since they're pretty affordable, but I can't find a tray that's 30"x23". Does anyone know where I can get a tray that will fit these? You can find more about the pad I'll be using here: Kirkland Signatureâ„¢ Absorbent Multipurpose Pads

·
Registered
917 Posts
Is there a reason you want to use puppy pads? It really makes house training harder on the pup. I've always found it easier to teach them to go outside from day one.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have found that most puppies think the puppy pads are too much fun to tear up and play with. I agree about just teaching them to go outside. If you crate train your puppy, it also helps them to learn to hold it as long as they are not left in the crate too long.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My puppies are doing well with puppy pads. The older one will now pee outside and as it is warming up we will be having them go outside and have the pads inside. I bought a large dog litter pan from Petco (well a few of them). :) I don't believe they are the size you are looking for though.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
@zaise If you're open to suggestions, do some looking around and see if you can find a fake grass patch that's affordable for you. OR buy some sod and put it in a box. It gets the pups used to using grass and makes the transition easier than using puppy pads. BUT if there isn't an option like that that's not affordable for you, then by all means, don't use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@CadenceDiscordia: So I've been very lucky. After doing some more research I decided to not go with the training pad since, as others have said in this thread, it confuses the pup. Luckily she can hold it for a couple hours which gives me enough time to regularly take her out and so she's getting the training that it's okay to go outside. Once I have to get back to work I've set it up where I can come home every couple hours to let her out and the training will continue.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
@CadenceDiscordia: So I've been very lucky. After doing some more research I decided to not go with the training pad since, as others have said in this thread, it confuses the pup. Luckily she can hold it for a couple hours which gives me enough time to regularly take her out and so she's getting the training that it's okay to go outside. Once I have to get back to work I've set it up where I can come home every couple hours to let her out and the training will continue.
That's wonderful! I think you'll be happier doing it that way in the long run. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts