Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family had to make the difficult decision to re-home one of our dogs. The dog just could not co-exist safely with our other animals which resulted in a bad accident and a traumatic experience for everyone. With some time, I think we should begin searching for another dog, as the family has taken the loss rather hard.

Any future dog needs to be friendly to other dogs, good with cats, good with children, good with horses, and friendly to strangers. A smaller dog would be best. Anything under 30lbs. Do you think this is impossible?

I'm also thinking we would be better off NOT getting a rescue and instead buying directly from a breeder. That way we can see the parents, check temperaments, and perhaps find puppies that don't come with pre-existing baggage. All our prior dogs have been rescues, and most have come to us with issues of some sort. I want to avoid this in the future and perhaps actually get a dog that isn't slightly neurotic, or extremely difficult in personality.

Any breed suggestions? I really like King Charles Spaniels and I know a friend that breeds them, but the health issues associated with that breed have me concerned. I have another friend that breeds Aussies, and her dogs are usually socialized at an early age and good with cats and horses. But I know Aussies can be high energy dogs and do tend to have a prey drive. Perhaps a Pomeranian would work? What about Papillons or Shelties?

The family is quite torn up, and I know we need time to grieve our losses, but it isn't like we will go out and buy a puppy tomorrow. If we are going to buy from a breeder, it will take time to search for a good one. I have only had rescues before this, so any tips on finding a responsible breeder and screening for health issues will be appreciated. I'm not against fostering, but small dogs aren't very common at rescues in this area, and tend to get adopted immediately. We may have to travel to a different city if we want to find a small dog, and I don't know if they would allow us to foster if we aren't local.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My family had to make the difficult decision to re-home one of our dogs. The dog just could not co-exist safely with our other animals which resulted in a bad accident and a traumatic experience for everyone. With some time, I think we should begin searching for another dog, as the family has taken the loss rather hard.

Any future dog needs to be friendly to other dogs, good with cats, good with children, good with horses, and friendly to strangers. A smaller dog would be best. Anything under 30lbs. Do you think this is impossible?

I'm also thinking we would be better off NOT getting a rescue and instead buying directly from a breeder. That way we can see the parents, check temperaments, and perhaps find puppies that don't come with pre-existing baggage. All our prior dogs have been rescues, and most have come to us with issues of some sort. I want to avoid this in the future and perhaps actually get a dog that isn't slightly neurotic, or extremely difficult in personality.

Any breed suggestions? I really like King Charles Spaniels and I know a friend that breeds them, but the health issues associated with that breed have me concerned. I have another friend that breeds Aussies, and her dogs are usually socialized at an early age and good with cats and horses. But I know Aussies can be high energy dogs and do tend to have a prey drive. Perhaps a Pomeranian would work? What about Papillons or Shelties?

The family is quite torn up, and I know we need time to grieve our losses, but it isn't like we will go out and buy a puppy tomorrow. If we are going to buy from a breeder, it will take time to search for a good one. I have only had rescues before this, so any tips on finding a responsible breeder and screening for health issues will be appreciated. I'm not against fostering, but small dogs aren't very common at rescues in this area, and tend to get adopted immediately. We may have to travel to a different city if we want to find a small dog, and I don't know if they would allow us to foster if we aren't local.
To be able to recommend any breed I need to know more about what you want and what you can offer. How much exercise and activity will the dog get? How long walks, what other activities etc?

I really support your choice of getting a purebred puppy from a good breeder. There’s quit much to take in consideration while choosing the breeder and depending on the breed there are different things to take in consideration.

But the main thing is that the breeder should be part of the Akc, have done all appropriate health/mental tests on the parents. The pedigree should be good as in healthy dogs through the generations. The breeder should be passionate about breeding good dogs, not be focusing on money or looks in first hand.

Do you mean the Cavalier king Charles spaniel or the English toy spaniel? I’m just a bit confused since we in sweden call the english toy spaniel the king charles spaniel.

If you mean the English toy spaniel I would discourage you due to the bad exterior and suffering that comes along. If your talking about the cavalier there is also many health issues such as heart problems and syringomyelia. My grandparents have had three cavaliers and they all passed away before the age of 7 due to heart problems. However with s good breeder you might be able to find healthy dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts