Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have 2 years Maltese.
My children want that I buy them a ferret. I love animals but I don't know how little dog will be live with a ferret, maybe somebody can give me advice or had the same history.
Thanks for your time and help.

·
Super Moderator
2,505 Posts
I don't know much about ferrets apart from that un-neutered females remain in season (unlike dogs for example, whose seasons end after a few weeks). The hormones that they continue to produce are harmful to their health, and their enlarged vulva makes them at high risk of infection. So if they are not neutered, they must be brought out of season by mating or by vet intervention.

I'd imagine with a dog, you would have to exercise very careful management. I was reading just yesterday of a family whose guinea pig was killed by their pet dog. No blame for the dog, that's a natural instinctive behaviour for a predator.

·
Registered
120 Posts
How old are you're children? I wouldn't recommend one if you have young children because despite having little jaws, they can easily break a finger. Plus, while weirdly flexible they are very fragile creatures so if you are looking for a cuddly pet I would once again advise against owning one. That being said, if you do the proper research and decide that you still want one, it's all about proper management between the two whether your dog has a low prey drive or not since their animal can get seriously hurt if left unsupervised with each other...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts