Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who all keeps their animals fenced in on a chain, or just plain run wild?

My reason for posting this is because my neighbor is the only person on my street [mind you I live on a state highway] who lets her dogs run loose. Everyone else has their dogs fenced in or on a chain.

Now this lady had four dogs and watches someone's dog from time to time. A few years back two of the four were hit by cars. My family just witnessed another get hit by two cars and a snowplow this past week. I have yet to see the fourth dog.

Isn't there a law about loose dogs? And if there is, why isn't it being enforced?

I'd hate to see the day when the other person's dog she's watching is hit...
:mad:

·
Registered
303 Posts
OMG! That is horrible! What is ahe thinking? Grrrrrr......
Well, what I would do is contact animal control and report her. Yes, there are leash laws, but they vairy from city to city, state to state. So the best you can do is call your city and find out the law. She actually might not be breaking any laws. But, IMO she is endangering people and of course the dogs. But as sad as this is to say, you might get farther on the endangering people angle.
Animal control may come out and site her if she is not compling with the laws and force her to chain or fence them with adequte food, shelter, and water. If that does not work, then you may have to call the police and see if they can do anything. Most likely they wont, but you might be told to call them. If all else fails, then you might have to call the ASPCA or Humane Society.
I can't stand when people's lack of care for the animals they have get the poor animal killed.
Oh, also if you happen to know or have friends who know the poeple whose dogs she cares for, let them know the danger that she is placing their pets in.
Please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IC 15-5-9-13
It is a Class C infraction for an owner to allow his dog to stray beyond his premises, unless under the reasonable control of some person or when engaged in lawful hunting accompanied by the owner or custodian.

I'm not sure if the ASPCA is anywhere near Indiana, but I do know there is a Humane Society around my area. Not only is it endangering the animals and people, but my dog goes nuts when her dogs are in our yard. I can't let her out because we don't have a fence and I'm afraid she'd break the chain to try and chase the dogs. Of course, she'd only want to play. My Dobe loves other animals. :]

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a few acres of land but a large fenced in area attached to the back of our house, so when the need to do their "business", I can just open the back door. It works great for those rainy days. My big dog still requires a long walk to burn her energy, but my pom is happy running in circles in the back yard. We live in the country, and we are pretty far from the main road, but I still teach them to stay by me in the front so there is no accidents. Unfortunately my pom loves to run into the neighbor's yard and I am constantly calling for her, so now she is on a leash in front, or stays in the back for her safety and my peace of mind.

·
Registered
98 Posts
oh and btw, we have 1 neighbor who works for animal control and another who hates stray animals in his yard and has actually threatened to shoot them. (not mine, but others) so, yea, another reason for the fenced in yard.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to live in the country also with a couple acres but my gsd/husky x stayed in the yard without a fence.

My neighbor has 75 acres [she has cows] and the dogs aren't taught to stay on the property at all. It's a shame considering they're all gone now.
:(

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a house with a fenced yard. But I moved out of state to keep all ogf the dogs and now we rent. We don't have a fenced in yard, so I have to take lots of walks and we are always on leashes. ALways no exceptions. I know it's not perfect, but it's temporary until we get a house again. And I got to keep all of my furkids. Oh...We go to the dogs park too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Geez! That makes me angry. I mean, wow. -.-

Our dogs are tied out on a long leash when we let them out to go potty, we are in planning of getting a fence this Summer, so I am VERY happy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
i live on a VERY quiet street, and i have a small shih tzu so we let her out loose. she does her business and returns to the porch. the only time she'll run towards the street is if someone is walking by, and then we just call her name and tell her she gets a treat and she comes running back happily. there are two other houses next to us that have dogs, all labs, and they all have electric fences. if my dog stays out for long, we are normally with her but she never leaves our side.
i can't believe that lady though. she should just tie them up, it is inexpensive and it will keep them from getting hit by cars. i would call the local humane society and tell them the danger she is putting her dogs in. hopefully things will change.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Recently, my father told the lady that if she didn't keep her daughter's dog off of our property, he was calling the police.
It hasn't been on our property since.
But, now it seems she has lost the dog.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Recently, my father told the lady that if she didn't keep her daughter's dog off of our property, he was calling the police.
It hasn't been on our property since.
But, now it seems she has lost the dog.
All of this is real unfortunate. In Arizona we have leash laws, unless your dog is at a dog park it has to be on a leash or you are subject to being fined or having your dog taken to the county, does this really happen I dont know, I see dogs all the damn time in the same areas and no cops or animal control out there taking care of it.... anywho I hope the dogs are ok but I think the neighbor needs to not have pets if she doesnt want to watch them...Your dad did the right thing by saying he could call the cops instead of threatening to kill the dogs.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, Indiana has leash laws too, but I've yet to see them enforced.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a house with a fenced in yard. So Billy has the run of the yard. I am also lucky enough to live opposite the school and get to take Billy over there for a really big wild tear around. And yes, I do pick up his poop over there along with other dog poop that I come across. My kids go to school there - I don't want them stepping in anyones poop. What is wrong with people - Pick up your dogs poop!! OK - Rant over

21 Posts
no leash laws here anywhere if you dog is well trained to walk to heel etc. but people dont let their dogs of lead unless they are trained or good with children etc must people do good citizen classes for puppies

·
Registered
620 Posts
Rubyred, call the police/sheriff and ask them what to do. Unfortunately for those of us that don't live "in town", we don't always get the attention needed. But it doesn't hurt to ask!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.