Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm very excited to get my new Labrador puppies on Saturday!

I just can't decide what sex to get, i've heard males are more affectionate but then i've also heard the females are more affectionate so I can't decide! I think I'd prefer a boy but I really can't decide!!

Thought i'd upload some photos of them as well as they're sooo cute! Mum and Dad are gorgeous as well! :)

What do you all think??

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hehehe, they are very cute! Both male and female are just as affectionate. It depends on how you raise them. I wanted a male but then when I went to the breeder I fell in love with sashi and she was a female. So I sugest going to the breeder and seeing the ones you like the most.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Awww! Theyre adorable, congratulations! I personally prefer females, but go to the breeder and see which pup chooses you
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
249 Posts
You say you are going to get 'puppies'. Does this mean you have getting two?

Unless you are very knowledgeable and into dogs for a while, I'd not suggest getting two puppies at the same time. Get one, bring it up and train it and add another later maybe. Two puppies can be a whole lot of work for a new owner.

If it is one pup - and hopefully so, look at the entire littler. Have the breeder separate the boys from the girls. Choose one from each sex and then put them together. One will surely jump out at you, as your dog of the future.

Make absolutely sure, that the breeder can show you proof of genetic testing on the sire and dam, for all the known problems in the breed. If you don't know the genetic problems in this breed, research them on line. Do not plonk money down on a litter bred by a BYB, who does not test their stock before breeding. Genetic problems can cost you a fortune in vet bills in the future. A local vet saying the dogs are healthy, is not enough. A breeder saying they don't test, because their dogs are healthy, is also, not enough. You need to see proof of testing and the results on paper, by the appropriate authorities.

For what it's worth, the dog with the red collar in the pic, does not look like a good example of the breed. Might be just the pic, but it is my opinion from the picture.

Lizzie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies and thank you for that information Lizzie!

I did infanct mean ONE puppy! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
With regards to not looking like a good example of the breed - are they working line? Because with working line dogs, looks are one of the least important things for determining if a particular dog is a good example of the breed. Of course, if they are from a show line, looks are closer to the top.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
In my opinion, even if they are from a working line, I'd still question and ask about genetic health testing and see the paper work. A working line stalk isn't going to do the work bred to them if they have elbow and hip dysplasia or hereditary myopathy. Just becareful and good luck. Oh and by the way, one of the dogs looks way over weight to be of working line, but maybe that's just my laptop acting up again.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
After having many males and females I prefer to have female dogs. Less issues with marking and I feel they seem to train easier. I have also had several labs in the past and the males were always a little more dense then the female. My females were trained to scent track, run upland game birds, and also retrieve waterfowl. Whereas my the two males I had were only trained for one hunting style because they only seemed to be able to retain one style.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Interesting SH that you bring up training because I have more success training my males than females lol. I am sure it does depend on breed as well.

I am always more partial to males in any species but thats just me :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I find male labs can be extreemly dog agressive and dominant so i would strongly advise a female. Also females are suppossed to be more trainable but do kill grass due to hormones in the wee...
But really if you socilise and train it well then it doesnt make much of a diference

1 - 11 of 11 Posts