Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
My five year old mutt came into our home about two months ago. In the time before we were given the okay to spay her, she humped one of my friends one time. We recently had her spayed (two weeks ago today), but about a week after she started humping people. She has humped me (who she is most attached to) and three or four of my friends. Tonight she started humping her chew toys.
Is this a behavior that I should expect to continue? or is this something she's going through while her hormones level out?
I scold her every time and she stops immediately which is good, but I don't want her to feel like she can't play with her toys (which she just started chewing on instead of trying to nip at my hands).

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Humping (especially other dogs and people) is very often not sexual in nature. It is a display of pushy, rude behavior and sometimes overexcited behavior. It's not the females that hump the males during intercourse anyway, so unless your vet or a trainer directly tells you this is sexual, I'm pretty sure it's just behavioral.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My oldest dog is a 'humper' :p and in every case he has mounted someone it has been when he was either overly excited or a mixture of excited and anxious...for example when he meets a male friend and has spent time with them he might hump (he used to be very fearful of men, so this is excitement and anxiety), if we've played too long and he has hyped himself up he sometimes humps me, or if he's got himself worked up playing with our other adult dog he might hump her.

We distract him with a positive interrupter (this usually works, but sometimes when he's really hyper we need to go and physically remove him) and call him to us, then do some calm training...sit, lie down, paw, chin rest etc. If he's too hyper to go back to playing, he gets a stuffed Kong or goes into his crate for a nap with his Kong :)

Also our female dog, who was spayed at 7 months, has humped a few times over the past two years, also when overly excited.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts