Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advice about what to do with this behavior that's gotten worst every week.
My female golden retriever is 22 m/o, she doesn't live with me I only see her on the weekends to take her to her agility practices. She has always been tough and didn't like when other dogs tried to sniff her so she would turn back on them as a warning. Lately everytime a dog tries to smells she snaps and start showing teeth and might even get aggressive with the dog. The reason I'm asking for help is because she is getting worst and don't want this to become a bigger problem, as I said before she practice agility and get in contact with a lot of dogs (every male dog assisting to these practices wants to sniff and mount her, also they all are super excited because they have a lot of energy and are not used to see a female).
I'd like to know what can I do to avoid this aggressive behavior towards other dogs. I know this happens only when the other dogs are on top of her annoying cause that's what it looks like, and there's when she snaps. Keep in mind that she is not in heat. If someone can take the time to read this and give me some help I would appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Honestly a large part of the problem is the other dogs...
They should not be allowed to get that close to your girl and certainly not mount her. I would start simply with better management. Situate yourself with a bit of space between you and the other dogs. If a classmate allows their dog to start approaching move your dog away and tell them you do not want your dog to be sniffed or mounted. And even consider talking with the trainer so that he or she can remind everyone to keep their dogs close and in their own spaces.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am really surprised that if you are taking classes that they allow the other dogs to come near your dog. One of the things I like about classes is that the dogs are taught to ignore the other dogs. You cannot blame your dog for being upset if the other dogs are sniffing her and certainly she should be getting mad at them if they are trying to mount her. I have always liked the fact that at classes your dog is there to learn things whether it is obedience or agility and not to socialize with other dogs.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Mounting is very rude behavior in dog worlds unless it's for mating directly, even if it's 'excited' behavior. Likewise is sticking their nose up some other dog's bottom without invitation. She's telling them to back off, as she should! She's not aggressive, she's telling these other dogs to keep off her and stop putting their nose where it doesn't belong.

Kthor is right, tell people to control their unruly, rude dogs. She's there to do agility and she's being harassed by every furball that comes along. I'd snap too.

You mentioned she's not in season. I assume she's not altered?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Give this article a read -- He Just Wants To Say "Hi!" | Suzanne Clothier
Your dog may just be especially sensitive to rude behavior from other dogs. I know my dog can be somewhat sensitive to rude dogs, particularly if they're larger than she is. You will have to manage her carefully. Unfortunately much of the onus lies on the other dog owners.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you sou much for your answers. I was thinking the same way, I tried not to blame my dog because when they are not sniffing she's fine (as long as I let her sniff them to know who they are after that she stays calm next to me). I know huge part of the problem are the other dogs but to be honest my dog is the most balanced in the group, the other owners dont pay too much attention to their dogs behavior and the truth is they dont what to do and what they doing at the moment. The trainer and me try to explain why is that behavior on their dogs and to do but they dont understand.
Each week at the beginning of the class we practice one exercise so the dogs can "socialize". Wich is walking in circles for about 5 minutes so they can relax but doesn't work with most of them.

Thank you again for your help because now I know is not my dogs problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts