Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy was spayed at six months old but I just noticed that about once a month, she gets really naughty and distracted. The other weeks she is great with behaviour and listening skills. Does any one else experience this with their female? My husband is the one who actually pointed it it out and I've started to monitor it.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I've not noticed anything like that. Is it at the same point every month? Is there something that changes in your routine around that time (e.g., longer hours at work, visitors, obligations that take you away from home more, outing with the dog)?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Nope, I've never had that problem with my females. Maybe start to look at what is going on when she starts acting up. And if the timing is consistent. Also she is still young.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Lucy was spayed at six months old but I just noticed that about once a month, she gets really naughty and distracted. The other weeks she is great with behaviour and listening skills. Does any one else experience this with their female? My husband is the one who actually pointed it it out and I've started to monitor it.
No that is a human thing not a dog thing. Is there nothing a man won't blame on a monthly condition. Usually when dogs act up there is a lack of exercise problem. Examine her activity level at these times and see if some extra running or play with something like a flirt pole doesn't get rid of the problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No that is a human thing not a dog thing. Is there nothing a man won't blame on a monthly condition. Usually when dogs act up there is a lack of exercise problem. Examine her activity level at these times and see if some extra running or play with something like a flirt pole doesn't get rid of the problem.
I'm not a man I'm a woman and I was referring to hormones. She gets A LOT of exercise so that is not the issue. Dogs have hormones too so I was wondering if females still have fluctuations after spaying...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as an FYI: Dogs do not cycle on a monthly basis so it wouldn't be her causing the monthly distraction, but they do have an incredibly good sense of smell so it could be you distracting her.
Lol that could be it

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've not noticed anything like that. Is it at the same point every month? Is there something that changes in your routine around that time (e.g., longer hours at work, visitors, obligations that take you away from home more, outing with the dog)?
No she's on a pretty tight and regular schedule. :ponder: I think she just likes to keep me on my toes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, I've never had that problem with my females. Maybe start to look at what is going on when she starts acting up. And if the timing is consistent. Also she is still young.
You're probably right about her just being young. I guess I get a bit too excited that the crazy puppy stuff has stopped only for her to throw me a curve ball :eyeroll::D

·
Registered
917 Posts
You have a lab, that crazy pup stage can last a couple years. Good luck and maybe stock up on booze for yourself.

Reactions: Savvvylu

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have a lab, that crazy pup stage can last a couple years. Good luck and maybe stock up on booze for yourself.
??? That is the best feedback yet!! It's so true, she's my third lab but the other two were angels compared to her. She loves to push limit, I just had to give her time out and was thinking "One more year of this crazy stuff"...well, I hope it's only one more :eek:

Reactions: annageckos

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just as an FYI: Dogs do not cycle on a monthly basis so it wouldn't be her causing the monthly distraction, but they do have an incredibly good sense of smell so it could be you distracting her.
My girl goes a bit nuts when I'm having my period, embarrassingly so. We'll be out on a walk and talking with a neighbour when she'll jump up and put her nose in my crotch. I'll push her away but she'll keep jumping forward and dramatically sniffing me. She never, ever does anything like that otherwise, and she'll do it at home too. She also seems more disobedient during this time. I swear I shower! ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My girl goes a bit nuts when I'm having my period, embarrassingly so. We'll be out on a walk and talking with a neighbour when she'll jump up and put her nose in my crotch. I'll push her away but she'll keep jumping forward and dramatically sniffing me. She never, ever does anything like that otherwise, and she'll do it at home too. She also seems more disobedient during this time. I swear I shower! ;)
Lol Lucy starts doing that just before too, and she's not a dog who does that normally. I'm always saying "No, get out of there weirdo" :p

Reactions: Cynna

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
The question you asked is interesting and it will be even more interesting if you can pinpoint the cause if there actually is one above and beyond your pup's maturing through adolescence. So many variables are involved but since you are monitoring the frequency I'd be curious if the timing of these episodes happen at regular intervals.

I know it is mostly considered myth but lunar phases certainly have an effect on many animals in the wild. Whether or not a full moon affects our domesticated animals has any merit to it would be easy enough to see if your pup's behavior coincides with lunar phases. I believe the full moons begin around the 23rd/ 24th of Jan 2016 and reoccurs about 29 days later, so in February it will take place on the 22nd or so.

Probably has nothing to do with your pup's scheduled monthly shenanigans but what the heck, just thought I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I seriously believe that the full moon can make all doggies and animals who are outdoors a bit crazy. Before her eyesight began to fade (it's still decent) the full moon brought on the WORST cases of zoomies, especially in winter. I mean, what's more fun than running around after dark when the snow is glowing from the moon?

I used to love to wake up to the sunrise so I never used curtains...so the moon's light affected my dog as if she was in the wild. My hubby likes a dark room so it's way less now, and she's less prone to monthly full moon nuttiness.

She also has always been more sensitive to the weather, before big storms she's always out-of-hand. I actually tend to look at the weather when she's crazy as she's more accurate than the weather channel. Last time she was a handful they were saying 1-3 inches of snow and I wasn't even paying attention until she was impossible, we got 7. So I have to trust that she's accurate in some way. She's 10 now and behaved that way since I got her when she was 2.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I seriously believe that the full moon can make all doggies and animals who are outdoors a bit crazy. Before her eyesight began to fade (it's still decent) the full moon brought on the WORST cases of zoomies, especially in winter. I mean, what's more fun than running around after dark when the snow is glowing from the moon?

I used to love to wake up to the sunrise so I never used curtains...so the moon's light affected my dog as if she was in the wild. My hubby likes a dark room so it's way less now, and she's less prone to monthly full moon nuttiness.

She also has always been more sensitive to the weather, before big storms she's always out-of-hand. I actually tend to look at the weather when she's crazy as she's more accurate than the weather channel. Last time she was a handful they were saying 1-3 inches of snow and I wasn't even paying attention until she was impossible, we got 7. So I have to trust that she's accurate in some way. She's 10 now and behaved that way since I got her when she was 2.
Sounds like your doggy should be a meteorologist as she is probably a better forecaster than most all the TV weather people:D

No doubt my dogs over the years have loved the full moon nights especially when there is snow on the ground with the moonlight, turns night into day! I almost think they look at me and think " Come on ! it's light outside, let's play!"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The question you asked is interesting and it will be even more interesting if you can pinpoint the cause if there actually is one above and beyond your pup's maturing through adolescence. So many variables are involved but since you are monitoring the frequency I'd be curious if the timing of these episodes happen at regular intervals.

I know it is mostly considered myth but lunar phases certainly have an effect on many animals in the wild. Whether or not a full moon affects our domesticated animals has any merit to it would be easy enough to see if your pup's behavior coincides with lunar phases. I believe the full moons begin around the 23rd/ 24th of Jan 2016 and reoccurs about 29 days later, so in February it will take place on the 22nd or so.

Probably has nothing to do with your pup's scheduled monthly shenanigans but what the heck, just thought I'd throw it out there.
That could be a possibility! It started at the beginning of last week and it was new moon. I find even people are nutty around new and full moon so why not dogs? Now I'm really intrigued lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Lol full moon gives me the zoomies too XD :bashself: I believe it does cause coo coo behaviour too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts