Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 6 month old APBT pup has been acting strange for a few days. Normally playful and social she's been listless, whines near constantly, not much interested in playing, just looks at me and whines. I've not put a thermometer into her since I can't find it but she doesn't feel hot. I've had a few guests come by, and she perks up for the visit, shows off a bit but goes back to the listless whining after the excitement wears off. My first thought was that maybe this is the first heat coming on but a look under her tail shows no sign of swelling, and I don't know if the behaviour change comes before the physical signs or not. I'm pleased to say, that I just had to take a 10 minute break from writing this. She brought her Kong to me and vigorously chased it for a while as I chucked it down the hallway. Just for reference... She's not had enough exercise the last month or so, since the weather has been so crummy and she doesn't like the rain one small bit, and it rains here constantly this time of year. She's also a pretty sensitive dog too. Shivers and yawns a lot when she's uncomfortable, has been scolded. She's also been slightly off her grub. Only finishing half of her portion or so and pecking at the rest over the day. So, I thought I would throw this out there to you other dog people. Do bitches have a temperament change before they show physical signs of being in heat? Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Does your breeder know when her mom has her first heat? My first thought from your description was that she may be coming into heat, but if your concerned a trip to the vet never hurts and they can run a blood panel to make sure nothing else is abnormal.

And to answer your question about per heat behavior, yes mine will exhibit behavioral signs prior to having swelling or notable discharge. If you think about it the hormones have to start shifting and changing levels before they can have any usual affect on the body. They don't call it PRE menstral syndrome for nothing :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm thinking pre heat hormonal changes are the most likely culprit. I'm going to take the wait and see approach anyways, since the age is right for it and nothing drastic is happening. As long as she's eating, peeing and pooping I'll hold off on the vets for now. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts