Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this should be posted here or under behavior - so I apologise in advance if this is posted in the wrong spot.

So Basil hates having his feet touched. I do not mean in the "he protests a little and pulls" way. I mean in the if you touch his feet he will scream bloody murder, flail, alligator roll, panic run away from you, and generally throw a spectacular display of panicked temper tantruming.

Now when he was smaller I could kind of man handle him into it because I was bigger than he is and I thought given enough time he'd get over it and realise nail grinding was not the end of the universe.

This has not proven to be the case! Now I do have a canine bathtub and a grooming table but I cannot just hook him into one of them and go for it. Because he will jump out/off screaming and trying to strangle himself. On one memorable occasion this also involved him dragging the grooming table behind him - going into even more panic because now the table was chasing him.

So obviously this has turned into some kind of major foot phobia or something.

My initial plan is to sit with him and feed him cheese as I touch his feet but I thought I'd get some other peoples input as well.

I mean there has to be a way to get him over this. The other dogs do not love having their nails done but they tolerate it. I don't really want him to start seeing me as that weird lady who keeps bringing out the torture devices and stalking him.

He does really adore cheese! I do welcome other ideas - there are some very smart people on this board.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think thats a good way to do it actually, feed him his favorite snack and touch his feet. After he is fully comfortable with handling of his feet, I would move to picking up his foot and touching it with the nail grinder. If that's too much try picking up his foot and picking up the nail grinder and then give him a treat and put it down.

Good luck! And I hope I don't sound mean when I say I laughed a bit at the table chasing him part, because that's gotta be horrifying for Basil but it would also be quite the sight to see! Poor fella!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
just want to see jessie has a foot phobia too like that! only when i try cut her nails she will wriggle away jump and run around no matter what i try to do to cut them she will even protect them with her head blocking me from cutting the nails! i plan to use a clicker and treat teaching her to touch and let me touch her paw then hold it then go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@K9Chaos - Your plan sounds pretty good to me. That's basically what I did with my dogs. They certainly don't jump for joy when it's time to trim their nails, but they come and sit, and tolerate it.

In fact, the other day I definitely hit Heidi's quick (Whoops!), and had no reaction from her.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just want to thank you all for the support!

I had to trim his nails yesterday - they were just getting too long and he was clawing up things without meaning to. It was kind of a traumatic experience for both of us. I had to muzzle him while the hubby had him in a bear hug while he flailed and screamed and pulled. He almost flipped the grooming table over three times.

In between clipping I am trying very hard to work with him on his feet in a less confrontational way. I know it will probably take months - and will put on my patient pants and get it done.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Just want to thank you all for the support!

I had to trim his nails yesterday - they were just getting too long and he was clawing up things without meaning to. It was kind of a traumatic experience for both of us. I had to muzzle him while the hubby had him in a bear hug while he flailed and screamed and pulled. He almost flipped the grooming table over three times.

In between clipping I am trying very hard to work with him on his feet in a less confrontational way. I know it will probably take months - and will put on my patient pants and get it done.
My parent's dog is like this. You'd swear you were beating her with a spiked club the way she carries on. In the end, they have just taken her to a patient groomer. They don't have the strength to hold her.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
sounds just like jessie but without the muzzle!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts