Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I am the only one here that has this issue, but I feel like I have grown hyper aware of everything my dogs are doing. I am paranoid about every cough, every weird noise, etc. I feel like my dogs are sick all the time even if they aren't. Everything becomes a symptom to me now and I hate it. I feel like I am stressing them out by being stressed and that can't be helping things. I only want to be a good dog owner, and I feel like my brain is working overtime worrying about that fuzz he just ate, or the fact that he is eating a little grass, or he is acting slightly sluggish for half a day. I can't seem to accept the fact that my chihuahua might just be a grumpy old man (which he has been most of his life) and I keep thinking there is something horribly wrong with him.

Maybe I am the only one who feels like this. I sort of hope not. I feel like a crazy person, and I am pretty sure everyone around me thinks I am too. Anyone out there feel this way??? :confused:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I used to, but I learnt what each cough/noise meant, if it was a repetitive cough ok something to be concerned about. eating grass? look for vomits if none, keep a watch but not worried. If they are happy, still eating/drinking going to the toilet normally, then nothing to worry about, and it makes it easier to realise when something IS wrong.
Its ok though you are being a vigilant pet owner! And that's not a bad thing.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I tend to notice a lot that may be off about him, he's limping a bit, he's hiding and there's no rain or thunder, he's ate something off the ground outside, he's acting more quite them normal, and the list goes on, but I've learned to not stress about it and just keep an eye on him. 99% of the time he's O.K. either by that evening or by the next day.

It helps me that over the years I've learned how to handle a lot of different things at home. I know what to do if he swallows a small bone he found on the ground outside. I know what hunger pukes look like. I've learned that most soft stool will clear up after a couple of days and it's safe to wait and see. Knowing stuff like that, and feeling competent to handle minor medical problem, helps me to stress less.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'm around my dogs almost 24/7 due to being on disability. So, I know pretty much when they are not feeling well. Still, I don't worry about them all the time. Even when they are not feelings all chipper I usually don't rush to the phone and call the vets. Even a slight limp, I'll monitor before going to the vets.

I think dogs have good and bad days just like people and sometimes they just want to 'sleep in' and don't get up right away in the mornings like they usually do, or they took a wrong step off the porch or while running out in the yard and they tweaked a muscle...and usually by later on in the day or the next day they are walking fine again.

I think when I get more concerned is when they don't want to eat....that...will usually have me looking at them a lot closer and probably making a call to the vet.

I also have to monitor my dog, HaHa after he eats because he's prone to bloat. I like to hear him let out a good burp before I really relax about it. If I see him swallowing hard or pacing, I get out the anti-gas meds and give him some, and if don't work, I'm on the phone to the vets.

I guess my dog's health and behavior are always being monitored by me, even though I'm not really aware I'm doing it...but that's good...I guess...better than having it on my mind all the time.

Stormy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts