Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
316 Posts
Well first, sorry about the ignorant people. They are everywhere, and it's almost never useful to try to engage in educating hostile strangers while also trying to train your dog through a difficult moment. Walk away, and take comfort in knowing they gave perfectly TERRIBLE advice!

FWIW, one thing I have learned (frequently the hard way) is that not everything is a training opportunity. A situation where I am surprised/shocked/frustrated/embarrassed by my dog's behavior, where my dog is at-or-over threshold, and where other people are turning the emotional pressure up to eleven is not one I would try to train in. Don't beat yourself up over one bad day, but maybe next time, leave the park and take both dogs for a nice, long walk together. Walking with other dogs, without the emotions play can elicit, can be a very good way for dogs to feel comfortable together. Or leave the park with Cosmo and go sit somewhere & just do some relaxation/calming exercises, so both of you can regain your composure and end the experience on a more positive note.

If you do decide to get the dogs together to play again, consider going for a walk first, and only letting them play together when (a) both are relaxed, (b) other dogs are not around, and (c) you're in a different park or yard. And be prepared to walk away from that too...maybe they just aren't at a compatible age/stage right now, and need a break from playdates. I don't know how old Cosmo is, but it's normal for most dogs to grow out of the dog park at some age, and prefer playing just with a known set of familiar friends who have compatible play styles. Maybe he isn't a great fit for a nervous puppy...that's not a judgment about his overall fabulousness, just a responsible thing to assess and try to accommodate in the future.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.