Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,026 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I've found it's really, really easy for people to judge when they haven't had to really deal with certain issues themselves.

I include myself in that assessment, by the way. I always had impeccably trained dogs and would judge those who had unruly or reactive dogs...until I became the owner of a reactive dog myself and realized just how hard it can be. There's no one size fits all dog training, and when someone is trying out a method (as long as it's not cruel or aversive) it's FINE. Good, in fact. Even if I don't think it will work, no sense in criticizing or doing anything beyond offering a helpful pointer or compliment - at least the person is trying!!

I think you handled the situation well. Does Cosmo have a leave it, and/or have you worked on any impulse control exercises with him? Sometimes dogs are just pushy and rude..especially young, male dogs. ;) Some progress I think will come with maturity (*knock on wood* for me & Chisum) but I do think impulse control exercises help too.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.