Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
9,199 Posts
Anyone have any ideas as to how, if this were to happen again, I could train at least the barking out of his play? If he gets too rough I decided to leash and leave, but I want to end barking. Any ideas? Thanks!
I honestly notice a lot of aussies are very vocal. The noises that Forbes makes when he is playing with Roxie are insane. I have also noticed that aussies a lot of the times come into thing at an energy level of 15 when everyone else is around a 5. What I have found with Forbes is walking away, like you did. What I probably would have done would have been put him on a leash and leave the park. Go out into another place in the park where he is going to focus and WORK on some obedience. I mean Work HARD. Pound it in. I would do puppy push ups, heals, stays, long stays, down stays, sit stays, recall (close enough that you can grab the leash), come to side, etc. Work every trick that he knows til he is zoned in on you. If you can't get his 100% undivided attention, you don't go back in. If you do, then you go back in. If he IMMEDIATELY goes back in at a 15, pull him out again. He sounds like he has to be taught to calm. I'm working on teaching Forbes this as he comes out of the car at a 12, when I really need him at a 5. Aussie are pretty intense dogs. I can imagine Forbes would have the same problem if I let him play with other people's dogs.

Also good for you for ignoring those 2 women. They don't know you, your dog, or where you are in your training.

Reactions: cos
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.