Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm a little new to this forum. So, I have a three month old male Boykin Spaniel. I must take a little time to brag on him, he's really smart and I started him with clicker training recently. He's learned a few tricks with the first couple tries! But, for some reason he isn't picking up potty training quite as easily. I'm in college and I live on the third floor of my apartment building which really sucks but it's worth it. I know three months is really young but I've been constantly watching him and taking him out ATLEAST every hour, if not sooner. He definitely doesn't have free reign of the apartment yet. I keep him baby gated when I'm at home and able to watch him and when I'm not able to I keep him in his crate. He loves that thing and knows 'kennel'. Boykins are such smart dogs as I've grown up around them but this one is kind of driving me crazy. It has been awhile since I've raised a puppy but I have done it. I've heard he's too young to be marking but he just NEVER stops peeing. I take him outside and I always stay out there for 10 minutes to make sure he's done, we come back inside and the second I turn my back he's peeing on the floor. I know he's young but I don't feel like he's making much progress. The breeder had taken them out while training them on pee pads so I decided right then and there that I would NOT use them. I hate those things. Anyways, can someone please give me some advice that I haven't heard a thousand times before? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I feel you. Squash was a nightmare to potty train. At that age, I resorted to setting a kitchen timer for ten minutes (yes TEN minutes, argh it was so annoyingly awful) and taking him out. Once we conquered 10 minutes, I set it for 15. Once we conquered 15, it was 20... and so on.

Some puppies are just harder than others, and there isn't a magic age when they suddenly gain physical control and get it mentally too. You just have to make sure he's going out frequently enough to practice pottying outside instead of inside, even though it's a huge drag to be going outside every 10 minutes (and Squash was a winter puppy to boot).

Specifically, for the times when you spend 10 minutes outside with him and he doesn't go, what I would recommend is to come back in and just hold him for 5 minutes or so (so he's not on the ground and can't pee), then go back outside. Keep repeating that until he goes outside, then give him a huge jackpot reward. Some puppies get so distracted outside that they literally seem to forget to pee, then they come back inside where it's more familiar and boring and are like "oh yea, gotta pee NOW."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I'll definitely use your advice. It is really annoying sometimes but I can't complain about him too much, thank you so much again!

·
Banned
211 Posts
I dont recommend puppies and apartments for this reason, but it can be done with hard work! Try taking him out every 30-45 min, and ignoring him until he does his duty.

Also, when he pees in the house use an enzyme based cleaner to get the smell out so it doesnt encourage him to pee there again. Id also check for a possible uti if it seems odd how often he pees.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts