Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was curious about feeding styles. I currently feed twice a day but was thinking about moving to once a day. Is one more healthy, whats rhe draw back to once a day, really any info possible. Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
I feed once a day. Feeding twice a day is not always convenient, and I saw no need for it. I also have small dogs so splitting their food into 2 portions would look pathetic lol. I always fed my puppies more but once they were 6-8 months moved to once a day. I only feed twice a day now if I need to put weight on my hard keeper so that she doesn't get too much in one meal.

For the most part I think once a day is fine, the only exception would be if it's a dog predisposed to bloat or some other medical reason.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Zody gets feed 2 larger meals, and 2 smaller meals. I'll skip the 1st smaller meal if I'm not home, that ones mainly just food in a puzzle toy to work him brain. The 2nd smaller meal is fed before bed and is fed because I do not like to be woken up by a dog having hunger pukes and have to clean up vomit before my eyes are fully open.

I do measure his food out and divide it up, if I didn't he'd be FAT. If I put all his food down in the morning he'd eat it all in one go, and I figure I just hate the though of him having to go 24 hours till the next feeding.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Depends on the age of the dog. Young puppies four times a day, reducing to three, then two as they age to once a day as an adult. My 5-year-old is fed once a day (raw).

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Depends on the dog, really. I personally feed twice a day. It's said to reduce the risk of bloat, it prevents her from having empty tummy vomits, and it prevents hypoglycaemia.

Puppies should be fed either 2 ,3 or 4 times to prevent hypoglycaemia which can occur more frequently in growing puppies and empty stomach because they use the energy faster than an adult. It's just like baby humans need frequent feedings.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've always fed once a day for healthy adults. My dane is still fed twice a day but I've been thinking of switching her to once a day like the boys. The reason I feed her twice is because it may decrease the risk of bloating, but she really doesn't eat that much. I raw feed so she isn't eating 6+ cups of food a day. Eating a lot at one time may increase bloat in deep chested breeds. So I'm on the fence with once or twice. On the other hand, feeding her a small meal in the morning isn't any trouble, it takes all of one minute. Take meat out of fridge and hand to dog. Done.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I feed both my puppy and my young dog 3 times a day, mainly because I'm home all day, and I like sharing mealtimes with them. :p

·
Registered
518 Posts
Two times a day for an adult male Lab.

He gets a good bit of exercise, so feeding as much as 6 cups of kibble at one time is too much and I feel the risk of bloat would be increased.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yes she is, but shes a breed that needs to geow slowly so both breeder and vet recommended that i dont feed 3-4 times. Plus i have a 8mo old lab.
I have a nearly year old Great Dane, they too need to grow slowly but puppies still need to eat 3-4 times a day. At 10 weeks I was feeding her 4 times. Around 3/4 months old I dropped it to 3, 6 months old we went to twice. You need to make sure you are feeding the puppy the correct amount of food or you will end up with a malnourished and possibly stunted dog.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have raised a large breed dog from puppyhood who grew slowly and IMO optimally. At 10 weeks old he was most definitely being fed four times a day. He was fed raw, so I don't know how different that is to a kibble fed dog.

I am not sure your breeder is giving you good information to be frank.

Your 8-month-old lab should probably be fed twice a day at this point.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I feed twice a day. It's not always the most convenient, but even my finicky eaters seem hungry twice a day so I go by that (my third dog would eat all day long if allowed). I feed less each mealbut do space it out.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Kibble is free-fed once a day. I dole out his daily portion and he would munch on it throughout the day.

Raw is also fed once a day. He normally doesn't finish it in one sitting though, so I have to take it away and offer it later.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I have raised a large breed dog from puppyhood who grew slowly and IMO optimally. At 10 weeks old he was most definitely being fed four times a day. He was fed raw, so I don't know how different that is to a kibble fed dog.

I am not sure your breeder is giving you good information to be frank.

Your 8-month-old lab should probably be fed twice a day at this point.
I agree completely. I've always heard if a dog needs to grow slowly (and arguably, they all should, but especially large breeds), you should definitely be feeding multiple times a day, at least 3.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I feed free-choice, basically. There are three dogs, and there are three bowls in the kitchen that I try to keep filled. If I walk by and notice some are empty or close to empty, I scoop out some more kibble. The dogs can eat whenever they want when they are in the house, which is pretty much 5pm until 7:30am during the work week (except the old guy who's in the house about 23 hours a day, 7 days a week), and they're in and out during weekends and holidays.
I've always fed like this, and the dogs always get good comments from the vet about their weight. They seem to stay just about right.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Twice a day, adult husky/GSD mix. She get tummy vomits if fed only once a day-or even if I delay a meal by too much (I'm not that consistent, to be fair, but 4-5 hour delays and she gets reasonably grumbly).

I've never found it difficult to be home twice a day to feed. Koda's very flexible when it comes to feeding times-we started of strict and gradually got sloppier, until it started depending on when I woke up for breakfast and dinner :p They have to be taken out anyways so twice a day isn't that terrible.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
To me, feeding once a day sounds terrible. (sorry to those who feed that way who think I'm bad for saying so...it's just how I feel.)
My reasons for the way I feel are various...
Dogs have a short digestion system so it would seem to me that they would feel hungry most of the time if only fed once a day - as food goes through them faster than it does human. And just on a personal note... I know I wouldn't want to eat just 1 time a day, it doesn't sound natural. Even in the wild when wolves or wild dogs take down prey they will go back to the carcass more than once during the day if possible.

Also as some mentioned, although dogs are not human, they still probably have insulin issue...that without some food in their tummy a few times a day that their insulin levels would get out of balance.

Also, I have to wonder if going for so long without food makes a dog bolt his food down due to being so hungry when it comes time to being fed the next day?

Anyway... for a long time I just free fed my dogs, dumped their food and they could eat when they were hungry. I never had obese dogs. Although, with new adoptions...they all gained weight the first 3 months I had them...but then that weight dropped off by the next year...as they got use to the idea that food was always there and I think they got 'tired' of the kibble as upon occasion I would give them treats they loved even more. I mean...a bite of hamburger, or a bit of bread, really makes dry kibble not so great...lol.

But, then I got Harper...who never did learn to slow down on the food, and later I got HaHa who shows indications that he's prone to bloat.

So for some years now I've regulated the dog's food, and gave my dogs 3 meals a day. Harper lost a nice amount of weight while I had her - she came to the animal shelter extremely obese, and they told me she had lost 25 pounds in the one year they had her and with me, she dropped another 15 pounds in year and a half I owned her. She still weighed about 120 before she got diabetes and experienced a huge drop in weight. If she hadn't got sick and needed put to sleep, I would have loved to have her weight get down to about 100 pounds. She was a rough collie by great Pyrenees mix and had Huge thick bones. She's the dog in my avatar and that photo was taken in my car the day I picked her up from the animal shelter.

HaHa gets fed anywhere from 4 to 5 times a day...small amounts - his episodes of tummy distress and burping has really slowed up after doing so too. And because that is the way HaHa is being fed, Jaya has to be on the same plan.

My cat Song. She's still free fed, but because she tended to eat too much and gained weight, I do limit her food daily and carefully measure what I put into her bowl...and when she's out of food, she doesn't get anymore until the next day.
I had my other cat Kayla who was very thin due to old age and later I learned cancer...so I waited until after she was gone before I started to limit how much went into the cat food dish. I wanted to make sure Kayla had access to food whenever she wanted it.

Song has lost some weight, in the past few months, now that Kayla is gone. I also noticed her bowl still has food in it later in the day than it use to have, so she's learning to regulate herself a little I think. She's the only cat I ever had that gained a lot of weight...all my other cats, I always kept the food bow full and they were at healthy weights, in spite of it.

So, in the long run, I guess I adjust the food feeding amounts and methods according to my pet's needs and attitude about eating.

Stormy

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, thanks for the input, i can definitely start feeding my pup 3 times a day and keep my lab on twice. As for "free-choice" thay would NOT work with my lab. If i let her, shed literally eat the whole 30lb bag of food in one go.

Which leads to my next questions. Do the "slow feed" bowls work, the ones with the raised center? Or should i get a maze bowl, or are those just for mental stimulation?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have pretty well always free fed my dogs. The Shih Tzu x Maltese all stayed at a nice weight and Susie when she was younger was good. Susie is spayed and as she got older, she started to put on too much weight so she is fed separately and only a measured amount.

Since I got my last puppy, Bonnie, Kris has started to put on weight as I had puppy food down for Bonnie and Kris was helping herself. I am now feeding them separately which is awkward but I certainly do not want Kris to get too fat as I do Agility with her and she was three in December and is also spayed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts