Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys feed your dogs at a set time or just have food available at all times? I know with my cats I just leave food out at all times, and they aren't overweight or anything, but how does it work with dogs?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Billy gets fed AM and PM - works for us.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I feed my Yorkies 2 times, once in the morning and once in the evening. Leaving food out all day isn't good for a picky dog and feeding through a schedule, you can predict when you dog need to go out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so it seems that twice a day is pretty normal. At what age should this be started? Should puppies be fed on a different schedule?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Free feeding is ok for some dogs but not ones who have a healthy appetite! Definitely pros to feeding on a schedule is knowing when they need to go potty and regulating their food to make sure they dont overeat. You also can determine if your pet isnt feeling well if they arent eating all their food rather than leaving it out and not being quite sure how much they have eaten

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Free feeding is ok for some dogs but not ones who have a healthy appetite! Definitely pros to feeding on a schedule is knowing when they need to go potty and regulating their food to make sure they dont overeat. You also can determine if your pet isnt feeling well if they arent eating all their food rather than leaving it out and not being quite sure how much they have eaten
That's a good point! I remember my schnoodle was such a picky eater as a puppy and would hardly eat anything, we had to mix in rice and stuff so he would eat, and even then, he would just pick out the rice and leave the kibble! If I remember correctly he got better when he grew older, and I think we did feed him twice a day, but he always left food in the bowl anyway.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I feed my dog once in the morning at 7 and then once in the evening at 6.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts