Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here feed Raw or a partial raw diet? My boyfriend is a serious hunter, he hunts for about 6 months out of the year and is fishing/crabbing when he isn't hunting, so we have a ton of fresh meat and bones available.

I have been considering switching Trucker to a partial Kibble and partial raw diet. I don't really have time to make sure a completely raw diet is balanced in nutrients but I thought that a partial raw diet might ensue he was getting necessary nutrients (from kibble) and meat/bones are fresher.

What are the opinions on raw or partial raw?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@naturalfeddogs is my go to resource for raw feeding. I'm sure they can weigh in and help out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Supposedly it is bad, because tke kibble and raw food need a different amount of time to digest...
I have a havanese that eat kibble until she was 1 year and 2 months, then barf (already made raw food) mixed with kibble for 2 months, then only barf until she was 1 year and 6 months. Now she only eats raw.
I don't feed 10% bone, 80% meat, 5% liver, 5% other organs (that is what your dog is supposed to eat) EVERY single day, but overtime it evens out. Yeasterday she got 120 g of chicken breast, today 60g chicken wing (out 10% of that is bone) and 60g chicken breast, tomorrow she will get 20g organs (half of them are liver) and 100 g chicken breast... soon she will also get a nice bone to chew on. (She doesnt get exactly 120g a day)
PS: I do not suggest giving bird bones to big dogs or fast eaters. They could choke on the bone. My dog is a picky slow eating 5 kg / 11lb dog, so I do not worry about it with her.?

And sorry for the looong post ?

Poslano z mojega SM-G800F z uporabo Tapatalk

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Pantalanomin Every time I start thinking yes this is better it always looks so complicated. He is at such a healthy weight now and I could see myself accidentally messing something up and starving him :( or over feeding him. My boyfriend is just really anti-processed kibble and Trucker occasionally gets some deer meat scraps when he is trimming the meat right now and LOVES them.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Doing both can be done, just space out feeding the two. Kibble at one feeding, then hours later raw at the next. If you have digestive problems, then the two may not mix well for you. Just have to try and see.

Just for FYI, here is a site to learn more about raw, with forums of raw feeders and a getting started guide as well...Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food

1 - 6 of 6 Posts