Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a new member desperately seeking for any advice.

My dog, a Mini-pinscher has recently been diagnosed of having Chronic Kidney disease. He is 16 years and 4 months old.
The Serum Albumin indicates CKD stage 1-2 but Phosphorus level indicates possible CKD stage 3-4.

I am trying to keep him healthy as long as possible despite the fact he has lived full life already.

My concern is that he lost most of appetite over last 2 weeks.

I tried to feed him everything.
Sweet potato, beef, chicken and various fruits.
I tried all different kind of dog food brands as well including prescription kidney diet.

Only thing he really eats is his liver treat which is high is phosphorus so I must avoid.

Today, I gave him bit of Blue berry muffin and he really liked it. I only gave small amount but I am wondering giving blue berry muffin is still better than having him eat next to nothing.

I know I must watch his protein and phosphorus intake, and I am planning to add more supplements he needs.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Back when my 16 year 7 month old dog's appetite was wanning I fed him anything that was not harmful to him, basically all dog safe foods except chicken because he was allergic to that.

So long as you are not going overboard with the blueberry muffins it will not harm your dog. In the sweets department, the dog I have now gets a bit of apple pie, ginger thin cookie, whipped cream, and flavored yogurt. I never give him a lot because that would be bad for him, but he'll get a few small pieces of the cookie, a lick or two of whipped cream, a bit of the apple pie, or lick the bowl of container I had the yogurt in. If I had blueberry muffins I'd likely give him a small piece or two.

He cannot live on it though, and too much will be bad for him, so do not give him a lot.

Have you tried canned cat food some of the Friskies or Merrick flavors have 250 to 150 phosphorus Cat Food Chart from catinfo.org , Wet Cat Foods - Low Phosphorous & Restricted Protein , or meat baby food? How about a lightly scrambled egg whites? If you feed the egg make sure to remove the yolk since that is high in phosphorus.

If he does take to the cat food, please know that while it's not a perfect food for him it'll not harm him, if you were feeding it long term then I'd suggest supplementing with a vitamin and mineral supplement. What you should not ever do is feed cats dog food as their staple diet as it can cause them to get sick and if fed long enough die do to the lack of taurine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for reply.
I will try cat food.. but he completely stop eating this morning and I worry for him.

He is a little buddy and almost feels like he lost will to live. I am heartbroken.

He has more health problem than just ckd. He also has pain in hip and knee. He also is suffering from either chronic rhinitis or other nose issue.

He is 16yr & 4 months old. I may need to make choice whether to support him comfortably or try to keep him alive at any cost...

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
I hope that something triggers his appetite and that y'all get more time with him. I know that it can happen.

If you try every last thing that you can to save him, and I did that with Shadow so I understand doing so and I don't regret doing it. Keep an eye on how he's doing and if you cannot get him eating again please take him in and have him put down. The last is what I didn't do and to this day wish I had.

·
Registered
368 Posts
normally there are a lot more steps involved in treating Chronic renal failure aside just from diet (which does little if the pet won't eat it, or anything for that matter). Are you supplementing fluids? How about meds for his upset or likely 'sour' stomach? You giving him phosphate binders for times he does eat? How about appetite stimulants? What are you doing for his pain? Is he anemic, an if so, are you giving him meds to deal with that? Has he had a few days of IV fluid and hospitalization? You have to attack kidney disease from many angles to get as good a response as you can hope for.

And as mentioned already but others, it is possible he may be getting very near the end of his life and there may be little else you can do if you have already done (or are doing) all the above suggestions. Keeping a pet alive at all costs is not always the nicest thing to do from the point of view of the pet, so keep that in mind as well.

Any numbers you can pass along? BUN and Creatinine? SDMA? What is his albumin? Phosphorous? PCV? WBC?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts