Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy got neutered today, and I was just wondering what you advice was on whether to feed him tonight or not. I was planning on just giving him rice, but the post op written instructions say "no food tonight for adult dogs". However, the tech said offer it and don't worry if he doesn't eat it. I remember feeding my other dog when he came home that night, but he wasn't too interested.

I don't want him to go over 24 hours without eating. His last meal was last night at 8 pm.. I can't imagine that so long with no food is good for recovery.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd follow the post-op instructions. Dogs should be able to make it through 24 hours without food, as uncomfortable as that is. Choking and vomiting are bigger post-anesthetic concerns than being hungry. Don't force him, just follow what the vet said, if he's hungry he will eat.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Anesthesia can remain in their system for 12-24 hours. The anesthesia makes dogs nauseous and they have a good chance of vomiting if they eat a full meal after surgery. Because of this they run the risk of aspirating regurgitated material into their lungs. That risk can be increased if they're gorked out on pain meds in addition to the anesthetics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts