Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is feeding my 4 pound and 2 month puppy 1 cup a day correct? I will ask my vet soon but just wanted clarification now.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Is feeding my 4 pound and 2 month puppy 1 cup a day correct? I will ask my vet soon but just wanted clarification now.
What food are you feeding and what are the guidelines? pups do need more as they are growing heaps.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
What breed is your dog? how old? can you feel his/her's ribs? What does the bag recommend? the breeder?

We need more information to give you better advice.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What breed is your dog? how old? can you feel his/her's ribs? What does the bag recommend? the breeder?

We need more information to give you better advice.
A cocker spaniel, 2 months old, and can feel his ribs but can't see them. The bag doesn't tell me how much to feed the pupp y but has one for adults.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sorry, I'm detail oriented, but is your pup a male or female? English or American. This information counts as they have different weight ideals. Personally, I would expect the average cocker of american lines to reach about 15-30lbs, depending on if it's a male or female, breeding line, and body structure. So this chart suggests you feed between 1 1/2 to 2 cups depending on growth, condition of the pet, and exercise.

So 1 cup is certainly and good starting point. Feed over 2 or 3 meals. I, personally, under feed by a little to ensure proper growth, but not to the point of nutrition deficits. It's easier to go up than it is to go down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I'm detail oriented, but is your pup a male or female? English or American. This information counts as they have different weight ideals. Personally, I would expect the average cocker of american lines to reach about 15-30lbs, depending on if it's a male or female, breeding line, and body structure. So this chart suggests you feed between 1 1/2 to 2 cups depending on growth, condition of the pet, and exercise.

So 1 cup is certainly and good starting point. Feed over 2 or 3 meals. I, personally, under feed by a little to ensure proper growth, but not to the point of nutrition deficits. It's easier to go up than it is to go down.
Thanks for the info. He's a boy and American cocker spaniel.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
looking up the breed 28-30 pounds adult weight so up to 2 cups is the guideline for up to 3 months then when 3-6 months 1 2/3–2 1/4 it says for that adult weight

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Thank you! :)
Your welcome :) just remember they are only guidelines and you can fed a little less then it says so 2 cups you could feed 1 3/4 for example or 1.5 a day and see how body condition is if you feel need to feed more then can go to 1 3/4 or 2 cups.

Do what your gut tells you sometimes pups wont eat all of it anyway so that will guide you as well. long as when your run your hand down the side of ribs and theres a little fat and can feel last 2 ribs your fine but if you cant feel them cut down etc.

btw can you please post a few pics of him? i love seeing pup pics! if you click on go advanced at bottom of text box comes up with grey and white box you should see a paper clip click on that and you can choose files to upload

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you!
Your welcome
just remember they are only guidelines and you can fed a little less then it says so 2 cups you could feed 1 3/4 for example or 1.5 a day and see how body condition is if you feel need to feed more then can go to 1 3/4 or 2 cups.

Do what your gut tells you sometimes pups wont eat all of it anyway so that will guide you as well. long as when your run your hand down the side of ribs and theres a little fat and can feel last 2 ribs your fine but if you cant feel them cut down etc.

btw can you please post a few pics of him? i love seeing pup pics! if you click on go advanced at bottom of text box comes up with grey and white box you should see a paper clip click on that and you can choose files to upload
Sure!

Attachments

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Oh my he tiny and oh my so adorable and tiny! How tall is he? My little Jessie was 14cm and 1.6kg so say nearly three pounds when got her. Even size small collar at smallest was too big. Just you wait will grow fast! Oh thank you for those cute pics! We on here love pup pics esp me

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh my he tiny and oh my so adorable and tiny! How tall is he? My little Jessie was 14cm and 1.6kg so say nearly three pounds when got her. Even size small collar at smallest was too big. Just you wait will grow fast! Oh thank you for those cute pics! We on here love pup pics esp me
Thanks! :) he's 4 pounds and wears a size x-small collar:joy:. What breed is Jessie?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Thanks! :) he's 4 pounds and wears a size x-small collar:joy:. What breed is Jessie?
4 pounds is 1.81kg Jessie was 1.6kg so he just weighed bit more then her at same age :) Jessie is a shih tzu x australian terrier. in 2014 we went to visit where we got her from it was then i pulled out of them who bred them the pet shop owner wife and that the mum is still alive a red australian terrier and her dad WAS turns out he passed not long after she was born was a mostly grey pure bred shih tzu with white chest and collar. Jessie was pure black then my family thought i bleached her she faded so dramatically in 2 weeks thy went to australia lol. google re assurd me its normal thank goodness. the little dog in my avater is Jessie :) 3 years old and 5.6-5.7kg now :)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I view the recommended quantity as a general suggestion, certainly not an absolute. Every dogs metabolism is different, the right quantity for one dog, may be only half of what another dog that weighs the same needs. You just have to watch him, for weight gain or loss, understanding that a puppy will need more food during his growing period. Its really pretty easy once you establish what your dog needs, then just minor adjustments based on levels of exercise and as he ages.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!
he's 4 pounds and wears a size x-small collar:joy:. What breed is Jessie?
4 pounds is 1.81kg Jessie was 1.6kg so he just weighed bit more then her at same age
Jessie is a shih tzu x australian terrier. in 2014 we went to visit where we got her from it was then i pulled out of them who bred them the pet shop owner wife and that the mum is still alive a red australian terrier and her dad WAS turns out he passed not long after she was born was a mostly grey pure bred shih tzu with white chest and collar. Jessie was pure black then my family thought i bleached her she faded so dramatically in 2 weeks thy went to australia lol. google re assurd me its normal thank goodness. the little dog in my avater is Jessie
3 years old and 5.6-5.7kg now
Cute dog!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Cute dog!
Thank you! just think how handsome , cute and good looking yours will get! never mind how tall :) how are you doing with the food are you sticking to 1 cup or upped it if so what to and how is he doing?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts