Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I would love it, if you guys would give me some feedback on my 13 week old puppy's daily routine, and maybe share your experience w. returning puppy blues.

Daily routine

06.30 - 06:35/40 - Toilet trip
06:40 - 07:15 Morning walk with integrated kibble search to prevent overdoing it:)
07:15-07:30 cuddling
07:30-08:00 playpen with chewing toy
08:00 Breakfast puzzle with some kind of chew stick at the end(I leave for work right after setting him loose on his feast:))
12:30 - 13:00 Potty break and a some play in the local park.
13:00 Lunch puzzle(only a tiny amount of kibble with some kind of chew stick at the end(I leave for work again when he's busy solving the puzzle))
17:30-17:35/40 Potty break
17:40-18:30 Evening walk and play in the park. He searches for kibble etc. along the way
18:30 Dinner puzzle - followed by relax time in playpen w. access to open crate
20:00 Potty break + a tiny sniffing outing as reward for going:)
20:15-20:30/45 Cuddle and then Goodnight in crate with a chew stick

I used to feed him before walks, but I was recently told that this was very bad for his digestion. So we've switched it around:)

Puppy Blues

I got him when he was 8 weeks old. The first day was fine. But the next day I started getting a sinking feeling that this was the biggest mistake I ever made.
He has slept through the night since day one, and overall he is catching on concepts fairly quickly.
A couple of days later I curbed the feeling when my brother came to help me get a crate to help with potty training. Then on my way to a puppy play date on day 7 I completely broke down in tears without warning. It was so overwhelming, and I just stood in the middle of the street crying. After a while(and a pep talk from my mom) I continued, and it was a really good play date where I met the trainer I ended up choosing for puppy socialization and training. On day 10 I lost it again, I was eating lunch while he relaxed in his play pen, I was so hungry, but I couldn't swallow the food, I felt psychically sick and I literally couldn't breathe. I called my mom, and I just repeated over and over again, "I will never forgive myself for doing this to my puppy". I resented myself and the feelings I had towards this innocent little fur-ball who had had ABSOLUTELY no say in the matter of coming home with me. I felt like I had made a mistake that was incorrectable. I couldn't bear having him for another minute, but I literally couldn't stand the thought of him not being with me.

My mom and brother came to pick us up, and I spent the next 10 days on my mom's couch. Things were getting so much better. He quickly understood where his bathroom was at her place, and our daily routine started taking form. I only had 2 minor breakdowns while at my mom's, and when we returned to my apartment everything was perfect.

I've recently gone back to work again, and I had everything fixed to bring him with me. For a week we tried, and I know he did his best, but I work in the city, and he refused to potty outside, resulting in him holding his bladder for 8 hours a day. two times he had accidents, and you could see how bad he felt about it, though I've never scolded him for going inside.

This Monday I spoke to my work and arranged for me to come earlier, leave later and then having a long lunch break to go home and take him out. He is much calmer now, and his potty schedule is back to normal again. Monday and Tuesday I was a wreck. I've recorded him, so I know he does not whine at all when I leave. Sometimes he'll bark a little, but he'll do that whether I'm there or not. It's just play. I just hadn't prepared mentally to be away from him for sooooo many hours during the day, but everybody tells me it's best for him. He is much calmer when he isn't overexposed by the city and the bus trip back and forth all the time. And it gets easier every day. The heart ache has almost vanished by now:)

I'm just so afraid that the puppy blues will return.:( He is the puppy love of my life. I love him to bits! I get so proud when he solves the increasingly more difficult puzzles I make for him, and when he sleeps in his crate in the kitchen from 9PM-6:30AM.

Have any of you had the puppy blues? How do you prevent them from returning?

Sorry for the long post - Just had to get it of my chest:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
And I don't intend any offense by that. I believe that you should speak to a professional. Sounds like the pup is doing great and you are giving it wonderful care.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I don't intend any offense by that. I believe that you should speak to a professional. Sounds like the pup is doing great and you are giving it wonderful care.
Posted via Mobile Device
No offense taken:)

Things are much better now, and the feeling I struggled with for the first 2 weeks, and then again when I realized I would have to leave him for 2x4 hours a day has subsided. It has really helped me a lot to record him, so I know he isn't unhappy.

I just read a post the other day, that someone had experienced puppy blues returning, and I would hate for that to happen. :(

·
Registered
324 Posts
No offense taken:)

Things are much better now, and the feeling I struggled with for the first 2 weeks, and then again when I realized I would have to leave him for 2x4 hours a day has subsided. It has really helped me a lot to record him, so I know he isn't unhappy.

I just read a post the other day, that someone had experienced puppy blues returning, and I would hate for that to happen. :(
That was my post. For me, the blues have sort of come in waves. What I am realizing for my own sanity is the more of a routine I am in, the better. I just started back at work this week on Monday and I am mentally in a much better place. He is also sleeping later in the morning (was waking at 4:45 or 5 and now will sleep until 6) so I am not as exhausted anymore. The more rested I feel, the better. Don't waste time worrying about if the blues will return or not. Enjoy the fact that you feel good right now. I see a therapist every week and her thoughts are that the puppy changed my routine and brought a feeling of chaos to my previously calm life which made me feel out of control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have almost the same exact situation as you. My 16 week old puppy is basically on the same schedule as yours. I tried to take her to work too, but it was just too much for her. There was too much commotion and she couldn't sleep well and was very anxious. She also didn't go to the bathroom until we got home. I started leaving her at home just the way you did and coming home at lunch. I found she was so much calmer and seemed happier. I had puppy blues pretty bad too. I posted a question about it because mine came on later, after 2 months or so of having her, not in the beginning, but only one person responded :( so I felt pretty alone. But I think I was just very anxious about leaving her at home by herself. I was worried she'd have separation anxiety (I guess I was the one who actually had it), but she's never barked or whined when I leave her and when I come home, her fur looks like she's been sleeping all day and no neighbors have complained about anything. I think it helps to know what exactly is making you feel anxious (for me it was leaving her all day), so that you know what it takes to resolve it (knowing she was fine when I left her). I think someone else mentioned keeping a routine and that helps a ton as well. Puppies are hard, but I'm noticing that everything keeps getting easier as the days go by. I think back to when I first got her and am so glad that's over with.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have almost the same exact situation as you. My 16 week old puppy is basically on the same schedule as yours. I tried to take her to work too, but it was just too much for her. There was too much commotion and she couldn't sleep well and was very anxious. She also didn't go to the bathroom until we got home. I started leaving her at home just the way you did and coming home at lunch. I found she was so much calmer and seemed happier. I had puppy blues pretty bad too. I posted a question about it because mine came on later, after 2 months or so of having her, not in the beginning, but only one person responded :( so I felt pretty alone. But I think I was just very anxious about leaving her at home by herself. I was worried she'd have separation anxiety (I guess I was the one who actually had it), but she's never barked or whined when I leave her and when I come home, her fur looks like she's been sleeping all day and no neighbors have complained about anything. I think it helps to know what exactly is making you feel anxious (for me it was leaving her all day), so that you know what it takes to resolve it (knowing she was fine when I left her). I think someone else mentioned keeping a routine and that helps a ton as well. Puppies are hard, but I'm noticing that everything keeps getting easier as the days go by. I think back to when I first got her and am so glad that's over with.
I'm sorry you didn't get any answers to your post, puppy blues suck. Things are much better for me at the moment, though I still miss him like crazy when I'm at work. He is pretty hairy at the moment, and when I get home to let him out the hair atop his head is all messy, and he is yawning and stretching like crazy, so my guess is the feeling isn't mutual:)
How are your puppy blues by now? I used to have this horrible sinking feeling that I made the biggest mistake of my life, but that has completely gone. Now, if I feel anything, it is not that I wish I hadn't got him in the first place, but that I wish I didn't have to work, and stupid stuff like that. So it has gone from me dreading the adaptation, to feeling I cannot adapt enough. But he is such a happy and playful little fella, so I don't feel like I can't take care of him well enough. From Nov 1 I have all day with him, so I'm looking forward to that:)

He is almost 20 weeks old now, and he has soooo much personality by now. He is so cuddly and prefers sleeping by my side in my bed, but accepts the nights he has to spend in his crate. He is naughty as f***, and whenever he sees the chance to grab a sandal, or a plastic bag, or a toilet roll he'll sprint as fast as his tiny legs can carry him away from me and shake it to death before I reach him, then he'll let it go and sprint in the other direction. He looks so funny (a tiny dog with a huge boot in his mouth, he has to tilt his head back to get it off the floor) that I cannot help but laugh at him. Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sorry you didn't get any answers to your post, puppy blues suck. Things are much better for me at the moment, though I still miss him like crazy when I'm at work. He is pretty hairy at the moment, and when I get home to let him out the hair atop his head is all messy, and he is yawning and stretching like crazy, so my guess is the feeling isn't mutual:)
How are your puppy blues by now? I used to have this horrible sinking feeling that I made the biggest mistake of my life, but that has completely gone. Now, if I feel anything, it is not that I wish I hadn't got him in the first place, but that I wish I didn't have to work, and stupid stuff like that. So it has gone from me dreading the adaptation, to feeling I cannot adapt enough. But he is such a happy and playful little fella, so I don't feel like I can't take care of him well enough. From Nov 1 I have all day with him, so I'm looking forward to that:)

He is almost 20 weeks old now, and he has soooo much personality by now. He is so cuddly and prefers sleeping by my side in my bed, but accepts the nights he has to spend in his crate. He is naughty as f***, and whenever he sees the chance to grab a sandal, or a plastic bag, or a toilet roll he'll sprint as fast as his tiny legs can carry him away from me and shake it to death before I reach him, then he'll let it go and sprint in the other direction. He looks so funny (a tiny dog with a huge boot in his mouth, he has to tilt his head back to get it off the floor) that I cannot help but laugh at him. Do you have pictures?

I had that same feeling of thinking I made a huge mistake. I even contemplated giving her back to the breeder. I don't know why I felt that since I've raised a puppy before, it's not like everything was new to me. I think it's just anxiety about making sure you do everything right because if you don't, they could have issues later. My first dog was so good and easy that I'm nervous this one will turn out difficult, but she's turning out to be great and I don't have those feelings anymore. She's starting to become more of a "dog" and less of a "puppy" in a lot of ways. She seems to understand my routine and habits now and she's not all over the place like before. She knows how to calm down and relax if I'm not able to play with her at the moment. She's incredibly calm in the mornings now which is great. She has the most energy at night and it's more of a controlled energy, not all over the place craziness. She does the same thing with tissues from the trash can in my bathroom. She knows she's not supposed to but just can't help herself so she takes one in her mouth and runs as fast as possible away from me and tries to shred it before I get to her. It's cute and funny.

For the crating during the day, I've found that she likes having her alone time to rest and be by herself so it's actually beneficial to her to leave her while I'm at work. I don't know what I'd do if I had a puppy with separation anxiety. I think that's one of the worst things to have to deal with and I'm so grateful she is independent and happy. She still loves to cuddle and get belly rubs from me so it's a good balance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts