Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful content on this site - my fiance and I have been reading a lot of the threads. I wanted to post up our current process for crate training just to get some feedback. We aren't really having any significant problems, but if there was a way to expedite the process or make it better, that'd be great to know. Here's what we're currently doing:

Some background: She is an 11 week old Shepherd mix

-7am: Wake up from crate (locked) and take out to potty.
-8am: feed meal with water
-9am: Take her out to potty
-11am: walk again
-12pm: feed meal with water
-1:30pm: Take on walk and potty
-3:30pm: another walk
-5pm: Another walk
-6pm: Feed meal with water
-7:30pm: Take out for potty
-10pm: Take out for walk and put to bed
-~2-4am: normally wakes up and needs to potty, but then goes back in crate for rest of night (after some calming)

Our main questions:
1. We are giving her 1/2 cup of water with every meal (3x a day) and sometimes in between, but her bowl is not always filled. When we walk it seems she's always looking for more water. We were thinking that restricting the water just a little would help with the cadence of going potty, but are also reading that water should never be restricted even just a little. Would it be better to have access to water all the time and take her out much more frequently?

2. Is it okay that she's walking around the apartment under our close supervision as opposed to being in the crate at all times? We haven't had many accidents because we're keeping a close eye, but I'm wondering if keeping her in the crate at all times will speed up the potty training process.

We're excited new dog-owners that love our puppy and are really open to feedback and doing things the right way, just looking for the right advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a 10 week old puppy (Shih Tzu so much smaller!)
But I don't restrict water at night yet (or food but that is more to do with the small breed)
I would offer unlimited water and take her out more frequently. You're not going to hurt the process. The biggest goal is to get her to go outside to pee and prevent accidents in the house. Don't worry about the frequency at this point

Close supervision definitely works and is great for the dog to get used to you too. I also tether with a leash. It's called umbilical cord training. Let's me get some stuff done and reduces the crate time. Basically you want her either in her potty spot or in the crate, close supervision, or tethered (which is a form of supervision). Again, the goal is to prevent accidents.

Side note I'm really enjoying Sophia Yins 7 Days to a Perfect Puppy book

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't think you should put water in with her in the crate at night but during the day, water should always be available. I don't think dogs need to be crated if you can supervise during the day. A great time to allow them freedom is right after they've been potty because they're pretty sure not to have an accident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! We have switched up to having water available at all times during the day and restricting at night

1 - 4 of 4 Posts