Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feedback on biting/nipping due to reactivity

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Criosphynx 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted about the (failed) PetSmart training class (http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training/obedience-lessons-concerns-feedback-2788/page3/#post27080), but one thing I wanted to get separate feedback on was the fact that Cannon bit (lightly, no skin broken, and more of a hard nip than a bite) me and my partner several times when we were holding him back from the other dog and not distracting him well enough. It seemed more of a "I can't get to what I want so I'm going to be aggressive right here" than him realizing he was biting us. The other biting thread (http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training/dog-agression-issues-need-advice-2850/#post27106) got me worried, though. Does this sound like something I can fix with Control Unleashed, where we are slowly getting him desensitized to other dogs, or should I be getting a trainer? He hasn't tried biting either of us before and isn't food aggressive.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Yup its redirection...can't bite the one you want? Bite the one your with.

Tellington TTouch Training

its a form of massage to calm your dog.

once hes had more training and is less frustrated it will definetly disapear. Try to avoid touching him when hes super amped so he doesn't have a chance to practice the behavior more...

I just read your other thread, Iam sorry the trainer wasn't as competent as they claimed to be. Can you video tape you guys training him, or him having and outburst? It would be helpful for us to see the behavior in action. :)

Edit... sorry we posted same time....I would use both in conjunction with one another.

#7 ·
Haha, I can video it if you want a really bad quality, 60-second camera phone clip (like this YouTube - chew bone with e-collar). :p I'm going to contact the TTouch trainer and hopefully do that with the Control Unleashed methods. I really want to get him to a point where he's fun to take places. Right now he's just so anxious about everything and everyone.

#9 ·
Can I get someone's feedback on how this trainer looks? Arizona Partnership K-9 Academy Home Page

I'm looking at this one because the local min pin rescue group in my area partners with them. The "best practice K-9 training disciplines" and "alpha leadership" as a method of training don't really appeal to me, but I'm starting to have personal anxiety issues because of Cannon.

He snapped at me last week for trying to lead him away from the baby gate (cat) where he was jumping, and became extremely aggressive when the UPS man delivered a package (I couldn't touch him for fear of being bitten). I've been doing clicker training for his reactive behavior and learning TTouch with a local practitioner, but I don't think I can deal with his behavior on my own any more. Based on the two incidents last week, it seems like he's getting worse.

#11 ·
Thanks! Mikey had suggested Team Canine, Phoenix Dog Training, but I wanted a trainer(s) that seemed more focused on behavioral issues and less on obedience (or at least more than one recommendation). I feel like the obedience won't be too difficult teach, but I need help coming up with a plan for the reactivity and aggression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.