Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a few issues. Bella is about 10 weeks old. She is a poodle/terrier mix we have no idea what her dad was so she is a complete mixed breed.

Problem 1: She is fearful, I take her to petsmart and she just kinda shakes and if anyone tries to rub her she just kinda pulls backwards on the leash. Ive took her multiple times and haven't seem much improvement yet

Problem 2: Possible Separation anxiety. Everytime I get out the car and if i leave her in the car with my dad she whines until I get back. If i leaver her in a room alone where she can't get to be she cry's this will be a problem when I take her to get spayed in about 3-4 months and because she is so fearful of new people

Problem 3: Leash Training is proving to be tough, She does good when she has to potty but if not she stands so I literally have to pull her to get where we are going she will refuse to move. After she is done pottying she will pull towards the house and pull me to the house. She does not like the outside I have tried sitting outside with her and the whole time she is pulling towards the house. She doesn't want to stay outside for longer then a minute or 2 at a time unless she is sitting in my lap.

Problem 4: House training. some days she does really good with maybe 1 accident and some days its 3-6 a day. Yesterday she only had about 1 small bowl of water and peed on the floor at petsmart 5 minutes later peed outside of petsmart. peed as soon as we got home inside the house and then I took her outside got her to hang out for about 15 minutes never used the bathroom went inside and as soon as we get inside she pees. One time she woke up from a nap I get up immediatly grab her leash but by the time I hooked her up and started walking to the door she peed before we get there. She does good at night I take her out every 4 hours but during the day somedays she pees multiple times in a 2 hour period and some times she doesn't pee at all. She is getting where she will whine when she has to poop and I can take her outside We have only had 2 poop accidents here and 1 at petsmart in the 2 weeks I have had her. but about 15 pee accidents I don't believe she has a uti since some days she holds it just fine and others she can't it doesn't matter how much water she drinks

Problem 5: I know this is just her being a puppy but how can I fix it. She LOVES Paper she gets it out the trash can, rips it off the toilet paper roll, as soon as we think there is no more paper around for her to get into she manages to find more, She is constantly bringing back paper or trash she manages to find and we can't figure out where she is getting it from. I want to get these issues fixed as soon as I can because I know the older she gets the harder it will be
and one last think puppy nipping its not hard just mainly putting her teeth on the skin she doesn't really bite us but I want to have it corrected before she gets fully grown because I don't know how big she will get, since she is 6 pounds at 10 weeks old she is supposed to be a small breed and hopefully won't get no larger then 20 pounds but if she does I want to make sure he will be well behaved with few problems by the time she is grown

·
Registered
562 Posts
I really, really think you're trying to do too much too quickly. At 10 weeks, she's still a very tiny baby, and if she's very fearful at Petsmart and all these places you're taking her, it's probably due to overstimulation. With any new dog, she should be PRIMARILY getting her bearings at home, where you state she's still having issues with housetraining. It takes a new dog or puppy sometimes several weeks or months to acclimate themselves to new surroundings. Please, just try to get her comfortable at home first before taking her out to public places. This is not to mention the possibility of catching any number of diseases that she may not be fully vaccinated for! (Parvo, for example) PLEASE: Resist the temptation to keep taking her places. Make her more comfortable AT HOME.

You've only had her for about a week or so? Again, she's very, very small. Leash training is going to take some time, why not just keep her to the back yard until she's more comfortable with being out and about? Separation anxiety is also well covered here in these forums.

As far as housetraining goes, I noted that you stopped responding several days ago to the thread that you started on that subject, where you were getting some excellent advice.

As far as the paper issue, you have to go through your house and puppy-proof the place. They can and will chew up ANYTHING. At 10 weeks, you have to be watching them ALL THE TIME. Work on trading the things that she shouldn't have for the toys that she's already got. There's a number of threads about this.

It sounds like you want some easy solutions, and puppies/dogs sometimes just don't "fix" that quickly. You will be putting in many weeks and months to work on these issues that you mention, and probably new ones that will pop up. It will take time.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I took her is because my mom can't watch her due to being disabled plus i wanted to try on harnesses to make sure I got the right size

·
Registered
562 Posts
The reason I took her is because my mom can't watch her due to being disabled plus i wanted to try on harnesses to make sure I got the right size
Please, don't worry about harnesses at this stage. The fact that you're still wanting to look for gear to take her walking means that you're probably going to ignore everything I advised earlier (along with the people in the other threads you've started?), which is depressing. :(

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Problem 1: You need to stop taking her to Petsmart, if she's that scared, taking her there repeatedly is going to make things worse, not better. At 10 weeks you should be working on house-training and bonding with your puppy.

Problem 2: She's a baby, she's going to cry. Especially since (if I remember correctly?) she is also sleeping in bed with you? I would try leaving her alone for periods of time during the day (either in a crate or ex-pen). This is critical for both her gaining some independence and so that you don't go crazy.

Problem 3: I would attach the leash and just let her drag it around in the backyard. I would also click (if you use one) and treat her for being outside. Leash training comes with time.

Problem 4 and Problem 5: Supervision. Puppies need to be watched, every second! (which is why I suggest the crate or ex-pen). Puppies are little troublemakers, and they need you to show them what they can do and what they can't. You need to puppy proof - make sure doors are closed to places you don't want her to go.

I suggest reading the stickies on house training, crate training etc, if you haven't already they are very helpful!

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to get a harness for her how else would I take her outside to potty I don't trust her off leash. Another reason for taking her around is socialize her I did do that with my last dog and she developed fear aggression from not being properly socialized

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I would just use a collar and leash, but that's neither here nor there. You're right, puppies DO need socialization, but you also have to listen to what the dog is telling you. Too many people think socialization is mass-exposing your dog to every stimulus/environment possible, but good socialization is providing your dog with positive experiences. Pet Smart is clearly not a positive environment for your puppy. I would start out with something much less intense. Have friends come to your house to give your puppy treats, so she associates people with delicious treats. If you know any, have friends with vaccinated, well-behaved dogs visit.
I would also suggest looking into puppy kindergarten/puppy socialization classes, but I would advise talking to the trainer first, and make him/her aware of the fact that your puppy is quite shy and nervous. They might be able to offer you more advice on how to bring your puppy out of her shell.

You may also just need to give her some time. Levi took a week or so to come out of his shell with me, so she may just need some time to warm up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.