Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently made a thread regarding problem me and my son bruno are facing, behavioural issues to an extent that my family was making me to abandon him, anyways this thread is for his walk training.

Behaviorist will b working on him after 10 days.

Two scenarios,

1. Waling in his regular park : He will walk fine with me, tail up and everything,

a. When people coming from front : He is fine with that also, he looks at them but is not bothered usually, i make him sit unless people dnt pass by becuase i dont trust him,

b. When someone is behind : Impossible to walk, tail tugged b/w legs, looking back again and again, so I make him sit untill people dnt leave.

2. Walking in a new place : Tail, U wont even see, Slight shivering, smelling everything, face down, dragging me.

Please share your experinece if u ever had a baby like this or trained one.
Ill be using this thread as a journal. Will write after every walk.

WIll post video this evening.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
what's the aggressive part in this?
If you're scared that he's biting I'd get him positively conditioned on a muzzle.

what kind of background has he? is he perhaps grown up in a more secluded and low-stimulus area? sounds bit like what a friend with a garage puppy (the dog hasn't left the garage for its first year) told me.
they walede with a dog in very low stimulus areas and and then bit by bit got him used over a long time (several years) to more exiting situations, while still keeping him below the point where he'd get outright too scared to learn.
patience and high value treats were the key.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i see no fearful signs in your post.
Be positive, i think you should feel relaxed and then you can train your dog with peaceful behavior

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Zody is fearful on walks, and his fear is of people. He's decided to manifest that fear as aggression, his goal is to scare off the scary people before they can get him so he barks and if the people are close enough he'll also throw in lunging for good measure.

I use Counter Conditioning to combat that fear. You can find out how to do it at this site Care for Reactive Dogs A quick rundown of what I do is, I take treats on our walk and usually hide them in my pocket, the higher value the treat is the better. Then we walk and wait to spot someone, as soon as he notices them I give him a treat, and keep giving him treats until the person is out of site. He's getting better at looking back at me for the treat, but if he doesn't I'll say his name and when he looks at me he gets the treat. If he barks, I say "Let's go" and walk him in a different direction, since I do not want him to practice barking. We do practice "Let's go" when no one is around so he does not associate it only with scary people. The goal of the training is to teach him that he does not need to be scared of people, that seeing people while out on a walk means that good things happen to him like those yummy treats, but when the people are gone the yummy treats stop being given. He's slowly figuring out that it's better to have the people around and get treats, then it is to try and scare them off and not get treats.

My boy is slowly getting better, but does have bad days. Some days we can go a whole walk and not have him react to anyone, other days it seems that he's barking at everyone he sees. Slowly though the bad reactions are getting fewer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry , my bad. He hasnt shown aggression while walking, but he is getting damn aggressive at home.
Behaviourist said "he is very scared and trying to protect himself" .

Ill try giving treats whenever he notices a person.

I have started muzzle training him from today.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-training-behavior/help-me-save-my-dog-256705/

Thread where I shared all the problems he is facing.

REGARDING WALK;

1. Should i continue to walk him in his regular park and slowly work there or should i bring him to new places also.

2. He is afraid of stray dogs but whenevr I make them go away, like they run away from him He gets a sudden confidence. Is this a fine practice?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.