Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old Australian cattle dog. He is a very loveing happy dog and very people friendly. When I got him I was managing a farm with 7 other dog residents. He never showed any aggression towards them always happy to romp and play. I have since moved off the farm and when we have gone to the dog park he becomes fearful and then possessive of me. If I greet the dog first he is fine. He dose not persue then still responds to comands so have not had to break up any fights. I have invested in a basket muzzel for him, and plan to continue to socialize him at the dog park. I would like for him to enjoy playing at the dog park since my other dog is not one for a good romp (a socially inept rescue cocker). How do I discourage the gaurding behavior? Thanks in advance for advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello,

First of all, your puppy is incredibly adorable ��

How does it show that he is fearful and protextive? What sort of behaviour does he show?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I stand still or sit and other dogs come up hackles go up and he becomes defensive like resource gaurding he will greet other dogs but then runs back tail between his legs. If I am moving and he starts his same thing but eventually will calm down. Last night he actually did settle in and stoped the growling after awhile and ended up playing a bit with one dog. Maybe just needs more socialization.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts