Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So yesterday, as my partner took our dog for her afternoon walk around the park, some people went into the park and fired some fireworks. Our dog has not shown any fear at home when fireworks were going on, so my partner thought it would be ok to take her for her walk. (Obviously, we didn't think they would go into the park and do this - it's a fairly secluded park, too)

When they came home, my dog was very, very terrified. She went under the bed immediately, and from there she went into the closet and stayed there for he remainder of the night. From what I observed she didn't even sleep much in there. We brought her toys and tried to make her comfortable. She was shaking, looking around fearfully.

Morning came and she seemed better. We took her out for two walks and at first she was scared but she got better as we distracted her from her fear with sticks. (Her favorite thing to carry around).

However, since we came home from walk, she is still staying under the bed most of the time now. I am worried that this is going to become a habit of hers and that she'll be fearful. She was a brave dog that wasn't scared of sounds or anything. She just drank some water in the morning finally, but she hasn't eaten yet. She is a playful, happy dog normally but she is not playing, she is not interested in treats. I am really worried. She is not acting like herself. How can I help her get over this?

Please help. :( Thank you everyone so much.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Nobody is answering, so I'll throw in my two cents. I'm sure she will recover from this, be patient. Does she have a vet you can call and talk to, if she doesn't start eating? If there are still fireworks going off that she can hear, play some background noise, or run a fan to cover up the noise. I would avoid talking her on walks for now, as that is where the trauma began, in general, it is too soon to try and make her face her fears. Sorry you are going through this, the 4th of July can be a real burden for some of us.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
When we have fireworks here I tend to try to be as normal as possible, I keep the TV on, this seems to distract from any outside noise. If Betsy hides somewhere, maybe under the bed etc... I just leave her there. This was a problem when we first adopted her, but she seems more relaxed these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for replying. She finally got out from under the bed. (I tricked her with her favorite ball - which she didn't respond to before, so must be a good sign). She played a bit and now sleeping with half of her body under the bed, so I'm more relieved.

She didn't eat yet, but she seems to be getting better so I think it'll be fine after all. If not, I'll give the vet a call tonight.

Sorry I freaked out a little - it's my first dog and our first 4th of July together ever since I adopted her. She's never been truly scared of anything within our year together so I got very worried. She seems way better now that fireworks are over.

I'll definitely better prepare for New Years and next year.

·
Registered
257 Posts
She's probably still stressed out a bit. I took Raider camping with us, and there was a bunch of things that put him off course a few days:. A dozen other dogs, both days, a huge crowd of loud and socializing people, and the fireworks.

It took him a couple of days to be his normal self. He would refuse food, even a hand feeding of his kibble wasn't working, and he would only drink if I set the bowl down. I found once I got him back on our predictable routine for a day or two, he came around. Your pup should be fine :) just give her some space to rest, but get her back into her routine. It sounds like she's coming around, though. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
It can take up to several days for the stress/fear hormones to reduce in her bloodstream after such a fright. Be patient. She will be OK, but don't be surprised if she now has some level of noise phobia to certain sounds.

Its OK to comfort her and help her to feel safe. That will not make her fear worse. Just be calm around her and show her that you are not afraid. Its OK to bring her special food treats and offer her toys to try to cheer her up. Generally play is the antidote to fear, so encouraging play is the way to go, but don't push her... give her time too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts