Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
911 Posts
He's never too old to learn. An obedience class may help a lot. Also giving him mental stimulation as well as physical exercise would help him. You really should work on loose leash walking. There are a couple of ways to teach it. Two that I use are to either, when he pulls just stop walking. You need to wait for him to stop pulling then praise and continue walking. Or when he pulls you turn around and walk the other way. Once he is walking with you, you can turn back around the way you were going. At first you are not going to get far, but with practice he should be walking nicely.

In the mean time you could always get a front hooking harness to help with the pulling. But they do not teach him how to walk on lead. It will just help you with his pulling while he learns. There are also head collars but not all dogs take to them. I do use one on my dane because while she does walk well she is young and strong. I can not hold her back if she decides to go. Also, you can get a coupler, like you would use to walk two dogs. A short one and hook it from his collar to his harness. So if he pulls out of one he will still be attached to you. Or just double lead, one to collar, one to harness.

Reactions: Iheartpuppies
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.