Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd title, huh? So along with all of Cobber's recent issues at daycare, I've now noticed that he's become very fearful, and this is happening on our daily walks around the neighborhood that we've made hundreds of times since he came to live here a year ago. I understand he gets spooked at dusk when the shadows get long and also at night when it's windy out, but now I'm seeing fear during our daytime walks when no one else is around. He just grabs the leash in his mouth and tries to drag me home. Is there a fear phase around the age of 1yr?

Add to that finding out yesterday that both ears have a yeast infection. He doesn't behave as tho his ears are bothering him at all -- no scratching, shaking his head, nothing to indicate it. But we had a free ear cytology test at the vet's so I took him in for it, and the tech didn't see anything but the swab came back "yeast," so we go back for meds tomorrow. I just wondered if maybe -- even without obvious signs of discomfort -- having his ears infected is part of his overall behavior issue problem?

Grasping at straws :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
It's possible that the ear infection could very well be part of Cobber's issue at daycare. Without really knowing what his interactions looked like with the dogs, there's really no telling.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible that the ear infection could very well be part of Cobber's issue at daycare. Without really knowing what his interactions looked like with the dogs, there's really no telling.
Yeah, I really don't know either (other than what I've posted here that I was told). Wish the place had a webcam so I could see.

Just curious :)

About the fear phase - is this common in a 1-yr-old?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Honestly, I don't know about when the fear phases happen... I read an interesting article about fear phases. Apparently there is a difference between a fear phase (misnomer) and a fear imprinting phase. It isn't so much that the dog becomes fearful, but that situations where the dog could become fearful are imprinted and that that is when your dog hard-wires its responses to fear and other negative stimuli. I'm sire others on this board can talk at length about which is which and when they happen, but I thought it was an intersting concept.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
Yes, it is entirely possible that his ear infection could be adding to behavioral issues.

I know with our Josey, if he has an upset stomach, (shown by soft or runny poop) he is much more skittish and reactive.

It seems just not feeling totally well adds to biochemical stress, which makes a dog less resilient and more sensitive to stimuli and triggers. At least that is my hypothesis anyway!

Reactions: CobbersMom

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
As far as "fear phases" I don't know technically if there is one now, but I do know that a dog his age is still changing and maturing, so expect him to continue to evolve.

Reactions: CobbersMom
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.